Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops - how old is too old?  (Read 25733 times)

narvin

Hops - how old is too old?
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:48 am »
I have some Chinook hop plugs that I'm thinking about using.  They're unopened and completely vacuum packed (no space for air inside), and they've been in my freezer since I bought them.

They're the 2006 crop, packaged in October of 2007.  I wouldn't use leaf hops that were this old, but I feel like the plugs keep much better.  Any opinions?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Hops - how old is too old?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:17:24 am »
I'd say there's a decent chance they're fine to use.  Open 'em up and smell 'em.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:24:19 am »
I'd say there's a decent chance they're fine to use.  Open 'em up and smell 'em.

+1

Open them up and smell them...if they smell good...use them. If they are vacuum sealed they are protected from most of the dehydration and oxidation that would have damaged them if they weren't properly packaged.  The key is in the aroma. 
Ron Price

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:35:31 am »
While we're talking about it...

How long do hops last? I have some whole leaf hops from my hop harvest last year (2009) that have been sitting in my freezer. Would these still be good for brewing? What should I look for to see if the hops are "past their expiration date"?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:44:38 am by scruby »
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:01:47 pm »
If O2 is removed from the packaging and the hops are stored in a freezer, you can easily keep them good for several years.  To judge iof they're still good, smell them.  Typically, if they smell "cheesy", they're no good.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »
Vacuum packed hops in an O2 barrier bag will last 2 years with not much degradation.  The AA is going down, but in a freezer you are keeping this to a minimum.

If the hops are not vacuum packed, and in a ZipLoc, they might only last a month according to the guys at Gorst Valley hops.  ZipLocs are not barrier bags, O2 difusses through.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:54:48 pm »
Typically, if they smell "cheesy", ...

...it's time to make some Belgians :)

What about the food saver bags?
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:48 pm »

That's what I use.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:02:36 pm »

That's what I use.

The guy from Gorst Valley said those are O2 Barrier bags. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Me

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:22:18 pm »
Well if the zip-loc rumor is true, I might have some cheesy hops waiting for me. Bummer...
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:53:00 pm »

+1

Open them up and smell them...if they smell good...use them. If they are vacuum sealed they are protected from most of the dehydration and oxidation that would have damaged them if they weren't properly packaged.  The key is in the aroma. 

++1
Also, the utilization may have degraded a little too. But if they have been in the freezer the whole time probably not by much.  I have used hops that were 1+ years old and stored in the freezer for an IPA which turned out as a Pale Ale.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 11:09:09 am »
Of they smell funky you can always use them for a lambic! Just make sure you boil long, 4-5 hours, and the smells should boil off.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 07:15:52 am »
FWIW, I keep my pellet hops in the original vacuum bag and a ziploc.  I'll press out as much air as I can and wrap them tight, then put them in ziplocs in the freezer.  Not as good as original packaging, but better than nothing.  It seems they last quite a while this way.  That being said, I need to clean out and toss some old hops in the freezer.  Another reason for kitting it - no hop leftovers!