Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you do with empty beer lines?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
What do you do with empty beer lines?
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:17:17 am »
 Just wondering what everyone does in between brews with their empty beer lines? I typically clean the beer lines and then rinse them with water. I then pump the water out so there is mostly air sitting in the beer lines. Since the beer lines are sitting cold within my kegerator, I just usually leave them like that until the next keg is tapped. Just wondering what others do?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: What do you do with empty beer lines?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:26:55 am »
When I empty a keg, and clean it with PBW or Oxyclean, I hook up CO2 and run it through the tap that was connected to that keg. Over a period of time I run a couple of gallons through the line and faucet. When I'm done I rinse well with water from the keg after rinsing it several times. Every 2 or three months I follow that rinse with a double strength Starsan solution.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:42:10 am »
I soak the quick disconnects in pbw solution and fill a keg with pbw as well. I run solution through the lines (about a gallon or so) but lately I let the (hot) solution soak in the lines for about 20 minutes. I do the same with star San and periodically I break down the faucets and soak them.
I work at a brewery and they do the same thing weekly but with caustic acid and no sanitizer.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline tookalisten

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:31:21 pm »
I soak the keg in PBW and hot water; probably about a gallon.  Give it a shake every time I walk by it, turn it upside down in my garage sink, etc for about 24 hours.  Then push the PBW through my beer line.  I then rinse the keg with clean water, then add about a quart or two of StarSan, shake, and then push that through my beer line.  Then I store the keg and leave the line until the next batch. 
Primary:
Kegged: IPA, Amber, Brown, Pale Ale

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 05:26:58 am »
I put a cornie post on a half gallon garden sprayer and fill it with BLC (beer line cleaner) solution at the stated dosage.  I pump it up, attach the QDC and run the solution through the beer line by opening the tap.  I let some sit in the line for a few minutes, then rinse with water in the same manner several times.

Once a year I break everything down for a thorough soak in cleaning solution (PBW or Craftmeister).  I replace the lines as staining or time warrants (every few years).
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"