Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Jack the CrIPA  (Read 2018 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Jack the CrIPA
« on: February 06, 2018, 07:05:55 pm »
Hey guys really back into the swing of things, doing only my second ever IPA! I have been brewing for three years and only recently decided to do the style again because this style is a weak area in my brewing knowledge. Anyway I can't wait to taste it and hear some feedback as well. (If you haven't noticed I am obsessed with rye in most my beers...). On a side note I don't we derived the name from it being a Citra Rye IPA aka CrIPA  ;D

-9lbs Briess 2-row
-2lbs Briess Rye Malt
-1lbs Weyermann Carabelge
 Hops Schedule:
.65oz Citra AA%:25.2 at 60 minutes
.35oz Citra AA%:25.2 at 10 minutes
1oz Citra AA%: 25.2 at 0 minutes

Used WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast because it is a favorite as well as Whirlfloc in the boil.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Jack the CrIPA
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:26 pm »
Is the Citra lupulin powder, cryo hops or something @ 25.2% aa? I was going to suggest a lot more hops but don’t have any experience with that stuff.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:49:11 am »
Is the Citra lupulin powder, cryo hops or something @ 25.2% aa? I was going to suggest a lot more hops but don’t have any experience with that stuff.

They are cryo-hops which I myself have no experience with. The supply shop I went to suggested them, I cant wait to see how it turns out. The IBU we calculated I believe was around ~70 (can't be exact I don't have my notes with me...)
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:08:49 am »

They are cryo-hops which I myself have no experience with. The supply shop I went to suggested them, I cant wait to see how it turns out. The IBU we calculated I believe was around ~70 (can't be exact I don't have my notes with me...)

I've worked with cryo quite a bit and I can tell that you're wasting them using them for bittering.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:55 am »

FWIW, both the powder and pellets are cryo.  The powder is no longer being produced due to difficulties in using it.  All cryo is now in pellet form.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:12:03 am »

FWIW, both the powder and pellets are cryo.  The powder is no longer being produced due to difficulties in using it.  All cryo is now in pellet form.

Thanks. Any recommendations on usage amounts for an IPA? That feedback might help the OP.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 11:34:18 am »

Thanks. Any recommendations on usage amounts for an IPA? That feedback might help the OP.

I have a blog post going up soon on the YCH website detailing my experience.  In the meantime, I've them in the whirlpool (about 2.5 oz. at 120F and another beer with 2 oz. at 180F) as well as dry hopping 1-2 oz. 

www.dennybrew.com