Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Biotransformation  (Read 2758 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Biotransformation
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 07:22:42 am »
Another vote that it's baloney.

Sometimes I'm wrong.  But sometimes I'm right.
It's a statistics thing. If you always say that everything is baloney, then you are right every time you are actually served baloney. Just kidding. You are awesome!
Always predict the most outrageous and improbable thing.  Everyone will assume you are just crazy.  Then one day, something outrageous will occur, and you will be the only one who was right.   Then they will all wonder if you were really the smart one all along....

I'm not crazy.  I'm just perfectly okay with having a 0.500 batting average.  ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline danpixley

• 1st Kit
    • My YouTube
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 04:30:59 pm »
This Palmer interview was one of the best interviews on NEIPA I have heard so far.  I agreed with him on just about everything he said.  Where Palmer went wrong was that he failed to explain that there are different types of "bioconversions".  The word "bioconversion" is a rather generic word for any biochemical transformation that is biologically driven (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioconversion).  Fermentation is a form of bioconversion, for example.  The study that Palmer was talking about looked specifically at the enzymatic hydrolysis of glycosides, the Luk Daenen study.  Luk Daenen published a study that found that out of over a hundred strains, there was very weak support for beta-glucosidase in S. cerevisiae, and one strain of Brettanomyces anomalus that had strong activity.  So Palmer is right, there is no evidence for beta-glucosidase activity in ale yeast.

But that isn't the full story.  The 2003 study that was linked showed that there are other bioconversions happening.  They HAVE to be happening because the hops don't contain the compounds that are being found in the finished beer.  There are a lot of different biotransformations of hop compounds during fermentation.  In many cases, they don't know how or why, but there is something going on.  This is a completely separate issue from glycosides though (although in some of these papers, glycosidic reactions have been hypothesized as the cause).

Here are some reviews I've written on the Shellhammer and Daenen studies on these two topics:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Glycosides
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Hops#Hop_Derived_Compounds_In_Beer_and_Biotransformations
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:40:37 pm by danpixley »
Milk The Funk Wiki Editor - http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 05:55:51 pm »
Thanks for your thorough input! I'm looking forward to hearing what Denny finds out from the horses mouth. I sense that might pop up in a podcast... no rush.

In the end I just don't want to be running round touting the awesomeness of something that, come to find out, doesn't really exist. Home brewers are phenomenal at that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:52 am »
Tom is at a conference this week.  Hope to hear from him soon.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

narvin

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:14 am »
It's also possible that other factors are having an effect.  I'd expect less oxidation from adding hops during fermentation.  The two aren't mutually exclusive, though. 

narvin

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:55 am »
This Palmer interview was one of the best interviews on NEIPA I have heard so far.  I agreed with him on just about everything he said.  Where Palmer went wrong was that he failed to explain that there are different types of "bioconversions".  The word "bioconversion" is a rather generic word for any biochemical transformation that is biologically driven (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioconversion).  Fermentation is a form of bioconversion, for example.  The study that Palmer was talking about looked specifically at the enzymatic hydrolysis of glycosides, the Luk Daenen study.  Luk Daenen published a study that found that out of over a hundred strains, there was very weak support for beta-glucosidase in S. cerevisiae, and one strain of Brettanomyces anomalus that had strong activity.  So Palmer is right, there is no evidence for beta-glucosidase activity in ale yeast.

But that isn't the full story.  The 2003 study that was linked showed that there are other bioconversions happening.  They HAVE to be happening because the hops don't contain the compounds that are being found in the finished beer.  There are a lot of different biotransformations of hop compounds during fermentation.  In many cases, they don't know how or why, but there is something going on.  This is a completely separate issue from glycosides though (although in some of these papers, glycosidic reactions have been hypothesized as the cause).

Here are some reviews I've written on the Shellhammer and Daenen studies on these two topics:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Glycosides
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Hops#Hop_Derived_Compounds_In_Beer_and_Biotransformations

That's cool, thanks for the links.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 06:19:15 pm »
Wow... the whole biotransformation info has been around for so long that this thread is like flat-earther stuff to me. I don't have all my articles at the ready because I read them years ago, but here's the first hit I get from a 2-second Google search:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10790686

Did anyone read "Hops"? Stan Heironymous went into a fair amount of detail about the whole biotransformation thing, and I had read many of what were his likely primary sources and came to similar conclusions myself. Biotransformation definitely happens with some Saccharomyces strains.

The devil is in the details, however. Biotransformation could mean a lot of things. Which oils get converted by what strains to which byproducts and to what extent? This we don't know.

I don't think I've seen a study that specifically tests one of the common NEIPA strains for specific biotransformation reactions. My gut instinct is telling me that it is contributing to the flavor of these beers to some extent, but there is no way to quantify it at the moment.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

The Beerery

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 06:24:02 pm »
Wow... the whole biotransformation info has been around for so long that this thread is like flat-earther stuff to me.

I get that feeling a lot around here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:36 am »
Wow... the whole biotransformation info has been around for so long that this thread is like flat-earther stuff to me.

Wait wait wait.... are you telling me you ACTUALLY believe the EARTH is ROUND???? Get a load of this guy  :o