Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Learning about water  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Learning about water
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 04:44:17 pm »
Just saying that 603 meters is 1978 ft. Jim might hit Lava in the PNW near the Ring of Fire.

No help with brewing water, but he'd never need to buy propane again.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 05:10:23 pm »
Just saying that 603 meters is 1978 ft. Jim might hit Lava in the PNW near the Ring of Fire.

No help with brewing water, but he'd never need to buy propane again.
Genau!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 06:44:19 pm »
It sure is. But 1978ft would put me back into bedrock

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 06:56:15 pm »
My opinion...a neutral base (RO or distilled) is a great way to build exactly what you want. Sometimes it takes some tinkering and few batches, but you can build a water profile for the beer style and end up in a great place....resulting in a beer you are proud off and represents the style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline BananaSlug

• 1st Kit
  • Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 07:53:39 am »
Water is something I want to have my head wrapped at least halfway around before I start brewing. Now I just need to figure out how to make bru'n water work on my computer.

Offline austin6455

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 03:39:19 am »
Not to divert the subject, but has anyone donated to/ gotten the updated version of brunwater? How different is it from the base Excel sheet? And most importantly, is it worth it?

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 06:38:24 am »
The supporter's version allows you to save the data for all your recipes, and it calculates your additions in hundredths of a gram as opposed to tenths. It's "worth it" in the sense that its creator put and still puts a lot of work into something we use every time we brew to make the best beer that we can.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Robert

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 06:46:44 am »
The supporter's version allows you to save the data for all your recipes, and it calculates your additions in hundredths of a gram as opposed to tenths. It's "worth it" in the sense that its creator put and still puts a lot of work into something we use every time we brew to make the best beer that we can.
I donated and got the supporters version, but for some strange reason Excel won't let me open it, says it's protected with a password,  which per Martin is not true. But I am perfectly happy with the free version, and I just save copies for my recipes (Android version of Excel requires you to make a copy in order to edit anyway.)

Frankenbrew makes the REAL point: I don't need the features of the supporters version.   I don't care that it's a dead file in my cloud storage.  I really just wanted to make a donation as some return for the great benefit I get from the "free" version.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline austin6455

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:20 am »
I donated and got the supporters version, but for some strange reason Excel won't let me open it, says it's protected with a password,  which per Martin is not true. But I am perfectly happy with the free version, and I just save copies for my recipes (Android version of Excel requires you to make a copy in order to edit anyway.)

Frankenbrew makes the REAL point: I don't need the features of the supporters version.   I don't care that it's a dead file in my cloud storage.  I really just wanted to make a donation as some return for the great benefit I get from the "free" version.
Sorry guys,  definitely didn't mean it like that.  Completely understand that it's a privledge to have that kind of info around at all. I just really didn't know the advantages of the donor version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:58 am »
Put that money toward a good pH meter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk