Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Eureka - the best new hop since Mosaic  (Read 5711 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Eureka - the best new hop since Mosaic
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 12:15:21 pm »
We did an IPA hop program at my club last fall. 30 IPAs, all of the same recipe, each with a different single hop. The two revelations for me were Denali and Michigan Copper. In a vote among attendees, Michigan Copper was the overall favorite. Eureka was not very favored, though I don't remember the vote tally.
Details on Michigan Copper please?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 04:15:51 pm »
We did an IPA hop program at my club last fall. 30 IPAs, all of the same recipe, each with a different single hop. The two revelations for me were Denali and Michigan Copper. In a vote among attendees, Michigan Copper was the overall favorite. Eureka was not very favored, though I don't remember the vote tally.
Details on Michigan Copper please?

Here is what I found on the interwebs

Michigan Copper

A Great Lakes Hops proprietary Hop. Michigan Copper won the 2013 Michigan beer trials. This variety shows great promise with its amazing aromatic capabilities. Great for aroma and post boil additions!! Substitutes: Good Luck………

Alpha Acids: 9-13%
Beta: 2-3%
Hop Essential Oils: 1.9-2.7 mL/100g
Aroma: Hawaiian fruit punch, Black Cherry, Hard red candy, Hibiscus resin
Beer Styles:  Big Juicy IPAs, Pale Ales, Wheats, Belgians, Lagers, Stouts
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 10:15:10 am »

Did you have a chance to try any of GLH exclusive varieties? I saw Michigan Copper is not available to homebrewers, but there were a few others. A little pricey at $14.99 a crown, but it is a more mature plant.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 09:04:53 pm »
Regarding Michigan Copper, my LHBS (Listermann) has had it in stock for at least the last 6 months. It's clearly available to homebrewers.

The various varieties we did were all donated, and all were commercially available with one exception. Thanks to YCH Hops, LD Carlson, Hopsteiner, Hops Direct, and several local breweries for their donations!