Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reconfirm: I HATE White Labs new packaging  (Read 6180 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Reconfirm: I HATE White Labs new packaging
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:42:06 pm »
Impossible to get all the yeast out but worse, sanitizer drips off your hands onto the packaging and wants to drip into whatever you are pitching into. Absolutely hate it. Probably won't buy again.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Reconfirm: I HATE White Labs new packaging
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:37:53 pm »
I much preferred the little vials.  I keep 20-some of them because they are useful and reusable.  In the old days, anyone could pitch a half a vial if they wanted.  Now, not so easy, if I didn't still fortunately have some old vials laying around!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline jweiss206

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 04:26:15 pm »
Impossible to get all the yeast out but worse, sanitizer drips off your hands onto the packaging and wants to drip into whatever you are pitching into. Absolutely hate it. Probably won't buy again.

Agreed, I exclusively use Imperial Yeast, Wyeast or Danstar since the switch.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 04:51:03 pm »
I like the new packaging. I think the yeast seems more viable too.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 05:27:36 pm »
I like the new packaging. I think the yeast seems more viable too.
Me, too.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 05:51:22 pm »
I’m not a fan of the packaging either, but my LHBS only carries WL. I’ve been taking the remains and making small starters. I step them once and fridge them. Much prefer WY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:42:54 pm »
Don't get out all the yeast from any other mfr's packaging either, so not sure about that logic. Just spray sanitize the surface you'll be cutting; no need to dip your entire hand in sani. So not sure about that logic either. In short, it's no better or worse than Wyeast's or Imperial's or whomever else's packaging.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 10:03:33 pm »
I don't mind it, but it did take some getting used to.  I cut the top of the outer package and just work with the clear inner sleeve.  That helps me get a better sense if it is all mixed thoroughly before pitching.  It also prevents me from leaking any into the outer sleeve and waste it.
Run then beer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:18:05 pm »
I think it’s fine. I wouldn’t be against a slightly larger package with a bit more liquid to make it more pourable.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 05:52:56 am »
I think it’s fine. I wouldn’t be against a slightly larger package with a bit more liquid to make it more pourable.

This was the problem I had with it.  Squeezing like a toothpaste tube didn't work that great.  Had to shake it up and down and end up flinging yeast all over the place and got a good bit on my hands.  Partially user error I'm sure. 

For what it's worth, I prefer Imperial but the little cans were no better.  I've had several "explode" when I pop the top and spray yeast all over the kitchen and sometimes having to dig it out with a spoon.  I haven't used Imperials new bags yet, but I'll be brewing a batch next week and I look forward to it.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:29 pm »
I have to agree on this one. The little tube inside is hard as a rock and its hard to get all the yeast out. For all their faults, I prefer a smack pack. I've also been brewing almost exclusively with dry yeast lately, and repitching... which has been fun in it's own right.

Offline tommymorris

Reconfirm: I HATE White Labs new packaging
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:57:16 pm »
The way I use the White Labs yeast is to cut the outer package off and pull out the inner tube. I then shake that vigorously.  Finally, I cut the end off inner tube and squeeze the between by fingers into the wort.

I never think much yeast is wasted.

Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/7lrGwwnM90I
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:02:58 pm by alestateyall »

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 07:04:46 pm »
All the packages have their drawbacks.  But I've generally used Wyeast because LHBS has the most turnover on that.  Fortunately I harvest, rinse and repitch ad infinitum, so I rarely deal with the packaging.  No problem getting yeast out of a Mason jar!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:38 am »
Don't get out all the yeast from any other mfr's packaging either, so not sure about that logic. Just spray sanitize the surface you'll be cutting; no need to dip your entire hand in sani. So not sure about that logic either. In short, it's no better or worse than Wyeast's or Imperial's or whomever else's packaging.

I get all the yeast out of WYEAST packets or almost all of it because it is in a more liquid format. You shake to suspend the yeast with the medium. And it almost all comes out. And if you put the package in a bucket of sanitizer to sani the outside (which I always do) it will be wet when you pull it out. If your hands aren't sanitized then the liquid from your hand will drip down the package into you starter or wort as you try to squeeze out all the yeast that is gummed up inside the package. It's not too hard to follow that logic: In fact it is pretty damn simple.

I'm guessing you work for White Labs. ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 08:06:33 am »
After posting and thinking about this I think the best way to make sure you dry your hands and the pack before adding the yeast so you can get all of it out. My issue has been that I wash hands, then put my hands in the bucket of sani to grab the yeast then when I'm trying to get the yeast out of the package I fresk out as I see the sanitizer leak off my hands on onto the package and then wory it is going to go into the wort.