Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Decanting my first starter. How long in the fridge?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline bustyraker

• 1st Kit
Decanting my first starter. How long in the fridge?
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:08:27 am »
Brewing a hefeweizen on Sunday and I don't want to underpitch because I'm not too crazy about the heavy banana flavor. I'm making a starter tonight and plan on sticking it in the fridge tomorrow night until Sunday morning. Is 2 days long enough to crash a hefe yeast?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Decanting my first starter. How long in the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 07:56:18 am »
I would love to answer this by suggesting you just pitch an active starter, but hef is one I have not done that way yet. It works great on every style I've tried so far though, and in a couple months I'll be trying it out on hef

Offline bustyraker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:47 am »
I would love to answer this by suggesting you just pitch an active starter, but hef is one I have not done that way yet. It works great on every style I've tried so far though, and in a couple months I'll be trying it out on hef
I might just make the starter the night before and just pour out as much liquid as I can without losing yeast. I'm not worried about a little bit of the dme getting in

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:03:16 am »
I might just make the starter the night before and just pour out as much liquid as I can without losing yeast. I'm not worried about a little bit of the dme getting in

Don't bother decanting.  Make a 1 qt. starter the day before and pitch the whole thing.  For years I did the whole stir plate/flask/decant thing.  Then a poster on tbhis forum starting talking about the "shaken, not stirred" method.  I tried it, and haven't used any of that other stuff since.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:11:34 am »

Don't bother decanting.  Make a 1 qt. starter the day before and pitch the whole thing.  For years I did the whole stir plate/flask/decant thing.  Then a poster on tbhis forum starting talking about the "shaken, not stirred" method.  I tried it, and haven't used any of that other stuff since.
Yup

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 10:31:07 am »
Is 2 days long enough to crash a hefe yeast?

It's been too long since I've brewed a hefeweizen to remember, but I bet 2 days in the fridge will drop most of the yeast out.  It will start to clear from the top, and you'll be able to see pretty easily how much is left in suspension.

I'm making a starter tonight and plan on sticking it in the fridge tomorrow night until Sunday morning.

It may or may not be done fermenting that quickly. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC