Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Reconfirm: I HATE White Labs new packaging  (Read 6205 times)

narvin

Re: Reconfirm: I HATE White Labs new packaging
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 08:08:51 am »
Yeah... it's like toothpaste, which I don't really like.  But I've dealt with it by using a funnel and squeezing it out first, then adding the starter wort through the funnel to wash it down.  I hadn't really thought about the hand thing but drying it first sees like the way to go.

Offline ukbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 06:35:36 pm »
I don't mind it, but it did take some getting used to.  I cut the top of the outer package and just work with the clear inner sleeve.  That helps me get a better sense if it is all mixed thoroughly before pitching.  It also prevents me from leaking any into the outer sleeve and waste it.

Same way I do it. No issues with new packaging.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 03:54:24 pm »
Don't get out all the yeast from any other mfr's packaging either, so not sure about that logic. Just spray sanitize the surface you'll be cutting; no need to dip your entire hand in sani. So not sure about that logic either. In short, it's no better or worse than Wyeast's or Imperial's or whomever else's packaging.

I get all the yeast out of WYEAST packets or almost all of it because it is in a more liquid format. You shake to suspend the yeast with the medium. And it almost all comes out. And if you put the package in a bucket of sanitizer to sani the outside (which I always do) it will be wet when you pull it out. If your hands aren't sanitized then the liquid from your hand will drip down the package into you starter or wort as you try to squeeze out all the yeast that is gummed up inside the package. It's not too hard to follow that logic: In fact it is pretty damn simple.

I'm guessing you work for White Labs. ;)

Your logic might be pretty damn simple but it's also pretty damn flawed. You are complaining about the packaging when it's really your wet, dripping hands that you're complaining about. Not sure how the packaging is responsible for your wet hands. Just dry your hands before pitching or don't dip them into the sani in the first place. Or spray-sani the outside of the yeast pouch. Either way, then your hands won't drip. Duh. It's a very easy solution to a trivial problem that really shouldn't cause that much consternation in the first place. And no I don't work for White Labs.

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
Reconfirm: I HATE White Labs new packaging
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 07:45:16 am »
I use alcohol and a paper towel to sanitize the outside of the package and my scissors, 70% isopropyl or ethyl.  Individual alcohol prep pads from the first aid aisle can be quite useful for sanitizing things. Get it wet, let it evaporate. You can use nitrile gloves wiped down with alcohol, if you’re really concerned with hand contamination. With all the talk of S. Diastaticus lately that’s probably the best way to go, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:21:52 am by hackrsackr »

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 07:53:52 am »
I use alcohol and a paper towel to sanitize the outside of the package and my scissors, 70% isopropyl or methyl.  Individual alcohol prep pads from the first aid aisle can be quite useful for sanitizing things. Get it wet, let it evaporate. You can use nitrile gloves wiped down with alcohol, if you’re really concerned with hand contamination. With all the talk of S. Diastaticus lately that’s probably the best way to go, anyway.

I use sanitized scissors on WY smacks, never occurred to me to use the nitrile gloves.  Duh.  Life-long brain fart there!  Suddenly occurs to me that would be a great idea during many operations.  Hitting the hardware store this morning anyway, got 'em on the list.  Cheers.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:55:25 pm »
Don't get out all the yeast from any other mfr's packaging either, so not sure about that logic. Just spray sanitize the surface you'll be cutting; no need to dip your entire hand in sani. So not sure about that logic either. In short, it's no better or worse than Wyeast's or Imperial's or whomever else's packaging.

I get all the yeast out of WYEAST packets or almost all of it because it is in a more liquid format. You shake to suspend the yeast with the medium. And it almost all comes out. And if you put the package in a bucket of sanitizer to sani the outside (which I always do) it will be wet when you pull it out. If your hands aren't sanitized then the liquid from your hand will drip down the package into you starter or wort as you try to squeeze out all the yeast that is gummed up inside the package. It's not too hard to follow that logic: In fact it is pretty damn simple.

Your logic might be pretty damn simple but it's also pretty damn flawed. You are complaining about the packaging when it's really your wet, dripping hands that you're complaining about. Not sure how the packaging is responsible for your wet hands. Just dry your hands before pitching or don't dip them into the sani in the first place. Or spray-sani the outside of the yeast pouch. Either way, then your hands won't drip. Duh. It's a very easy solution to a trivial problem that really shouldn't cause that much consternation in the first place. And no I don't work for White Labs.

I think you might be a little confused. The toothpaste problem is what I don't like. Yes, I did say that I will dry my hands next time still doesn't solve the problem that you can't get all the yeast out and have to squeeze it like toothpaste which is what I don't like (and others seem not to care for it either).

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 01:11:51 pm »
Major, would extra liquid solve your issue? Send your comments into Chris.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:00 pm »
I liked the vials mostly because I reused them for other storage.  The packs are ok and haven’t had much issue I can recall. I was more focused on viability of the yeast with pure pitch. I still just throw a pouch into most ales without any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hackrsackr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:00 pm »
Ale: thanks for the video, will be using that in the future.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 08:33:39 pm »

I think you might be a little confused. The toothpaste problem is what I don't like. Yes, I did say that I will dry my hands next time still doesn't solve the problem that you can't get all the yeast out and have to squeeze it like toothpaste which is what I don't like (and others seem not to care for it either).

No, I'm not confused. You said it yourself: "Impossible to get all the yeast out but worse, sanitizer drips off your hands onto the packaging and wants to drip into whatever you are pitching into" (emphasis added by me). You explicitly stated that sani dripping off your hands was causing you the most angst. And you were blaming the packaging for it, which is the logic I wasn't (and still am not) following. Maybe you're the one who's a little confused?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 10:28:37 am »
Toothpaste is exactly what I thought on the first time with WLP-002 in the pure pitch. Now I make sure to work it up a little first.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 07:01:17 pm »

No, I'm not confused. You said it yourself: "Impossible to get all the yeast out but worse, sanitizer drips off your hands onto the packaging and wants to drip into whatever you are pitching into" (emphasis added by me). You explicitly stated that sani dripping off your hands was causing you the most angst. And you were blaming the packaging for it, which is the logic I wasn't (and still am not) following. Maybe you're the one who's a little confused?

I made a starter again with it today and dried the package and my hands off. I still do not like the packaging and I do not like the toothpaste squeeze feel. I still don't feel like it is as sanitary as the old packaging or as easy as WYEAST packaging. Not sure why you feel the need to be so argumentative (and somewhat pugnacious) but I do have a right to my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:03:02 pm by majorvices »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 07:15:26 pm »

I made a starter again with it today and dried the package and my hands off. I still do not like the packaging and I do not like the toothpaste squeeze feel. I still don't feel like it is as sanitary as the old packaging or as easy as WYEAST packaging. Not sure why you feel the need to be so argumentative (and somewhat pugnacious) but I do have a right to my opinion.
We really can't be letting you have an opinion. Next thing you know, everyone will be thinking they are entitled to the thoughts in their own brain. That would be chaos.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 11:26:30 pm »
Could a cheap, small pasta roller be put to use squeezing out the yeast? It would then go from a unitasker to multitasker.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 08:00:10 am »
Could a cheap, small pasta roller be put to use squeezing out the yeast? It would then go from a unitasker to multitasker.

Can you run the package through your mill?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing