Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: From primary to bottling  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Werwer2018

• 1st Kit
From primary to bottling
« on: February 08, 2018, 01:43:41 pm »
I'm new to this whole brewing thing and I'm going to be doing my first bottling from a 6 gallon pail. The question I have is how much can I expect to lose from this TRUB as they call it. I bought a siphon hose but don't have the money for the bottle filler. When I bought the hose they gave me a shutoff that fits on the hose. Should I tip the bucket and stop leaving a bottle or two, not sure.

Offline Ale Farmer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: From primary to bottling
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:54:26 pm »
About a half gallon is what I expect to lose--sometimes it's a bit less, and I've seen a number of published recipes that also use the half-gallon figure.
George

Brew and grow...

Bottled: Belgian May Ale, APA, Wit, Pilsner, Rye Pale Ale, Pale Irish Ale, Dark Mild, Brown Porter, English Pale Ale, Amber Ale

Fermenting:

Next Brews: English Pale Ale, Spruce Porter, Brown Ale

Offline Werwer2018

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:06:57 pm »
Thanks for the information.

Offline Werwer2018

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:30:35 am »
I'm wondering if I should siphon the beer from my primary fermentation pail to another pail before I bottle so that I can minimize the amount of trub going into my bottles. Just a thought.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:57:44 am »
I'm wondering if I should siphon the beer from my primary fermentation pail to another pail before I bottle so that I can minimize the amount of trub going into my bottles. Just a thought.

YOU MUST DO THIS!!!
 You put your priming solution in the second bucket, siphon the beer into that (this mixes the priming in evenly) leaving all the trub behind, and then bottle.

The is no way you could mix in the priming otherwise.  Somewhere your kit should have had clear instruction on this!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:00:23 am by Robert »
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Werwer2018

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:54:44 am »
Thanks Rob for the reply. If you are talking about sugar when you are referring to the priming solution. I was going to transfer the beer to another pail while trying to leave as much of the Trub, I believe it is called, In the primary pail then siphon into bottles and add the carbonation drops as I go.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »
Thanks Rob for the reply. If you are talking about sugar when you are referring to the priming solution. I was going to transfer the beer to another pail while trying to leave as much of the Trub, I believe it is called, In the primary pail then siphon into bottles and add the carbonation drops as I go.

Oh, carbonation drops, cool, I forgot about that option!  But you still want to siphon it off first, leaving the trub behind, or it will be near impossible not to slosh or suck some up at some point.  I think you've got this!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Werwer2018

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:50 pm »
Thanks again for the help. I'm hoping that this Coopers Lager is going to taste better than the Long Play IPA, That was so bitter :o