Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is there a max amount of steeping grains when brewing with extracts?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
I've brewed 12 batches of extract and most of the recipes have called for about 1.5# of specialty steeping grains, which turned out ok but I feel like with not enough unique flavor or body.  So, for my latest brew that I tried keeping true to the recipe (Dunkel Weisse) I used 2# 11oz steeping grains to add to the flavor and body.  1# Caramunich 3, 8oz aromatic munich, 8oz flaked oats, 4oz carafa 1 dehusked, 3oz midnight wheat, 4oz rice hulls.  I know the rice hulls don't add to the flavor or color but to the chemistry of the oats.  As for extracts, I used 7# wheat DME. 
I'm wondering if there's a maximum amount of steeping grains that would overpower the intended extract recipe to potentially overpower the flavor.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Is there a max amount of steeping grains when brewing with extracts?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:18 am »
Many grains require an actual mash to convert their starches to fermentable sugars. The more of these grains that you steep, the less fermentable your wort will be. You come to a point that a partial mash is a better choice than steeping. While there's no set number for how much you can steep, there's a point where it becomes counter productive.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 07:49:52 am »
The oats are one of those grains that require mashing.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 07:57:25 am »
The maximum amount of steeping grains is 100%.  It's called all-grain BIAB.

Seriously.... if you can control your temperature at about 150 F for at least 30 minutes, that's BIAB mashing right there.  It's just a glorifed steep, that's all it is.

Robert is right -- you need to mash those oats.

You might find this helpful:

Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:46 am »

Seriously.... if you can control your temperature at about 150 F for at least 30 minutes, that's BIAB mashing right there.  It's just a glorifed steep, that's all it is.

I might add that in order for the grains to convert you need sufficient diastatic power.  Without that you're still only steeping.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Virwill

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 08:26:20 am »
Great stuff here, dm. Thanks for the tips!

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:51 am »
Many grains require an actual mash to convert their starches to fermentable sugars. The more of these grains that you steep, the less fermentable your wort will be. You come to a point that a partial mash is a better choice than steeping. While there's no set number for how much you can steep, there's a point where it becomes counter productive.

You're right, I think I should be doing a partial mash for the beers that I want more specialty grain flavor. 
I understand that the grains need a true mash to convert the sugars, I am just looking to get more of a body and specialty flavors in my beer that I haven't got to the extent I'm looking for when steeping the "standard" pound of specialty grains.

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 08:50:08 am »

So will just steeping the oats for 30 mins add anything to the mash as far as mouthfeel like I was aiming for?

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 08:55:11 am »

Great info!  Thanks.  I think I will be doing at least a partial mash for my next brew. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 09:04:05 am »

So will just steeping the oats for 30 mins add anything to the mash as far as mouthfeel like I was aiming for?

It will. I have successfully used small amounts of flaked oats or barley in extract batches, and they do give you the same mouthfeel contribution as if they were mashed. The only issue is that they also bring unconverted starches, which can lead to haze and flavor issues. Aromatic/Munich also needs to be mashed. If it is a true Munich malt, it can convert itself. But if it is Aromatic malt, then it lacks the enzymes to self convert. I think a pound of grain that needs to be mashed will probably be too much, although a Dunkel Weisse is a style where you can probably get away with it.

I don't have a hard and fast number, but personally I don't think I'd go higher than half a pound of unconverted grain in an extract recipe.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 10:41:49 am »
Isn't the term 'steeping' implying that those grains are either crystal or roast? If that is the case and we're not doing a 'mini-mash' in the steeping bag, then wouldn't the upper limit for crystal be in the 10 to 20 percent of fermentables range? For the roast, I'm guessing its the amount of grain that isn't causing the beer to be ashy and overly drying.

Under those assumptions, wouldn't the max amount of steeping grains be somewhat small? Maybe in that 2 lb range that was mentioned.

But I see that the OP is actually including some grain that should be mashed in that second listing. Then some diastatic power is needed, as mentioned above.

It's a natural progression! Keep up the good work and experimentation.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

Is there a max amount of steeping grains when brewing with extracts?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »
I brewed JZ’s hazelnut porter extract kit from MoreBeer as my third batch. 4.75lb of grain and I only had a newbies 5 gallon kettle. It was a huge pain.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/jamils-chocolate-hazelnut-porter-extract-beer-brewing-kit-5-gallons.html

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »
The aromatic Munich requires mashing as well.
Munich usually has enough DP to mash itself but nothing else.
You'd need to add about a 1/2 lb of pilsner or wheat malt to be carefree you will convert the oats.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge