Author Topic: From Arizona  (Read 728 times)

Offline DoubleBarrel

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
From Arizona
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:05:09 AM »
Hello All,
I'm really glad to find this forum. I've been homebrewing here in northern Arizona for almost two years. I got started with a Mr Beer threshold kit and have since tried my luck with extract, all grain, and BIAB kits. I'm starting to develop my own recipes using BeerSmith software, mostly clones of beer SWMBO likes.
This is a fun and fulFILLING hobby. I wish there was a LBHS near me, the closest one being 60 minutes south in Phoenix.
Looking forward to learning  how to improve my craft and sharing what I've already learned.

Bob

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: From Arizona
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:10:29 AM »
Welcome Bob!
This is a great forum with wonderful people ready to help out. Learning is an exciting adventure!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Bob357

• Brewer
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 12:16:31 AM »
Welcome to the hobby and the site. There are lots of on line brewing supply stores and many have reasonable flat rate shipping. MoreBeer is one I have dealt with and been very satisfied with both variety and quality. I would stick with the bigger suppliers because, at least in theory, they turn over more product and the products should be fresher.

Beyond ingredients, I have found a variety of suppliers who have unique products and good value. It just takes knowing what you want and some research. I'm an hour away from the nearest LHBS, but go to Reno at least once a month for other things, so plan accordingly.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 01:55:47 AM »
Welcome, Northern AZ has some fond memories.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »
Welcome Bob!
Run then beer.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:44 AM »
Hello All,
I'm really glad to find this forum. I've been homebrewing here in northern Arizona for almost two years. I got started with a Mr Beer threshold kit and have since tried my luck with extract, all grain, and BIAB kits. I'm starting to develop my own recipes using BeerSmith software, mostly clones of beer SWMBO likes.
This is a fun and fulFILLING hobby. I wish there was a LBHS near me, the closest one being 60 minutes south in Phoenix.
Looking forward to learning  how to improve my craft and sharing what I've already learned.

Bob

Where in Northern Arizona? I’m in flagstaff.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline JoshBeer

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
    • Everything Homebrew
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
Welcome! I'm in AZ, too. I live in Tucson. I'm the Brewmaster for Mr. Beer and I also manage our homebrew store, Everything Homebrew. If you're ever down this way, stop in and say, "hi"!

Cheers!  :)
Josh Ratliff
Brewmaster/Manager
Cooper's DIY/Mr. Beer/Everything Homebrew
Tucson, AZ
1-800-852-4263 (ext. 7612)
joshr@coopersdiy.com

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 06:49:19 PM »
Welcome to your new obsession!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 11:59:31 PM »
Hi Bob,

Where in NAZ are you located?  I run a home brew shop in downtown Flagstaff.  Check us out online www.highaltitudehomebrewsupply.com  or stop in and say hi. 

Happy Brewing,

Adam
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline colbrew

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 01:27:20 AM »
    Hello,

From Kingman here. Have been to the shop in Flagstaff downtown. The other shop shut down a few years ago and just found out another opened up!

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 09:46:34 PM »
    Hello,

From Kingman here. Have been to the shop in Flagstaff downtown. The other shop shut down a few years ago and just found out another opened up!

How’s Kingman? Decent beer scene? Is there a club or shop? I usually only drive through and stop at in n out.
It may be too late but our club has a big brew going on this Saturday with a local brewery. If you have the time you’re more than welcome to join.
Enjoy the forum.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline colbrew

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 04:10:58 PM »
   Unfortunately there is no shop, or club in this area that I am aware of. There are a couple of Breweries in town. That is pretty much the extent of the Beer culture here. I appreciate the offer! I had to take a hiatus from brewing anything larger than 1 gallon extract batches for a few years, due to work.That was even tough sometimes. I will not be able to make it Saturday, but I would like to head up sometime for a meeting or other event.

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »
   Unfortunately there is no shop, or club in this area that I am aware of. There are a couple of Breweries in town. That is pretty much the extent of the Beer culture here. I appreciate the offer! I had to take a hiatus from brewing anything larger than 1 gallon extract batches for a few years, due to work.That was even tough sometimes. I will not be able to make it Saturday, but I would like to head up sometime for a meeting or other event.

We hold our monthly meeting at 7 pm on the first Tuesday of the month at High Altitude Home Brew Supply (18 E Birch Ave Inside of Olive the Best)  Our next meeting will be on June 5th and we will be holding a tasting competition for British Golden, Austrailian Sparkling, and Strong Bitters (BJCP styles 12A, 12B, and 11C).

First meeting is free and we encourage you to come hang out. 

Check out the website, mountaintopmashers.net
Fermentation at Elevation