Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lalbrew New England  (Read 3877 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Lalbrew New England
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:51:27 pm »
Anyone try it yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: Lalbrew New England
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:45:14 pm »
Mmm....east coast ale. I love that style.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 07:50:54 am »
I’d like to try that one.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:59:05 am »
A few years ago I would have assumed that a yeast called "New England" would be a diacetyl-laden Ringwood variant. I'm guessing that this is Conan, maybe?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
It will be interesting when we start hearing the reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »
A few years ago I would have assumed that a yeast called "New England" would be a diacetyl-laden Ringwood variant. I'm guessing that this is Conan, maybe?

Pretty please? More real British style yeast?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 06:08:36 am »

What I wouldn't give for a dry version of WY1469! I think whatever strain this turns out to be will have some English heritage. I have to assume that this is a strain suitable for NEIPA's, which in my mind is likely either Conan or Boddington.

My only issue with dry English strains is that I've never had luck getting the ester profile I'm shooting for. I haven't experimented enough to determine if it's simply a pitch rate thing, or whether it is something inherent with the dry yeast overall.
Eric B.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:21:37 am »

Death to Ringwood!!! :P
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:12 am »

What I wouldn't give for a dry version of WY1469! I think whatever strain this turns out to be will have some English heritage. I have to assume that this is a strain suitable for NEIPA's, which in my mind is likely either Conan or Boddington.

My only issue with dry English strains is that I've never had luck getting the ester profile I'm shooting for. I haven't experimented enough to determine if it's simply a pitch rate thing, or whether it is something inherent with the dry yeast overall.

Odd, I haven't had any issues with 1469 not drying out in the end, but that's with a substantial amount of invert.

If I ever get around to it, planned a series of tests to try and recreates several fermentation methods to try and get closer to "in use" brewing conditions. My thought is that's pa big part of why we don't get what we want from these yeast.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:36 am »

Odd, I haven't had any issues with 1469 not drying out in the end, but that's with a substantial amount of invert.

If I ever get around to it, planned a series of tests to try and recreates several fermentation methods to try and get closer to "in use" brewing conditions. My thought is that's pa big part of why we don't get what we want from these yeast.

I was referring to having the TT yeast available as a dry yeast, not that I was having attenuation issues.
Eric B.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 07:25:30 am »

I was referring to having the TT yeast available as a dry yeast, not that I was having attenuation issues.

Got it, though clearly I didn't the first time around.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 11:21:12 am »
Reviving an old thread. Has anyone tried this yeast in English beers, ie. porters, bitters, etc?

I am yeast shopping and am thinking about trying it. I am planning to try
Windsor/Nottingham combo, Verdant IPA, and maybe this one specifically in porters and bitters.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 01:43:35 pm »
Reviving an old thread. Has anyone tried this yeast in English beers, ie. porters, bitters, etc?

Windsor/Nottingham combo, Verdant IPA, and maybe this one specifically in porters and bitters.
Funny coincidence. I just brewed with it for the first time last week, but it was in an IPA. I will be kegging it soon. I did pitch a bit on the high side (2 packs in 3.5 gallons - Lallemand's calculator called for 18g), and by the time I went to dry hop a little over 2 days later, the yeast was almost completely finished up.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick up much yeast character over all the hops, but I'll come back with an update once the beer is on tap.
Eric B.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 09:31:28 am »

Funny coincidence. I just brewed with it for the first time last week, but it was in an IPA. I will be kegging it soon. I did pitch a bit on the high side (2 packs in 3.5 gallons - Lallemand's calculator called for 18g), and by the time I went to dry hop a little over 2 days later, the yeast was almost completely finished up.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick up much yeast character over all the hops, but I'll come back with an update once the beer is on tap.
Thanks. I am just going to buy the yeast and figure out what to do with later. I look forward to hearing about your beer.