Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with Oats - Water Chemistry Question  (Read 1568 times)

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
Brewing with Oats - Water Chemistry Question
« on: February 11, 2018, 10:04:41 am »
I found some great info on how brewing with larger proportions of oats can impact many key components of beer:

http://scottjanish.com/case-brewing-oats/

I'm subbing oat groats for flaked oats in a stout today.  Figured I'd still toast the oat groats in the oven before milling them.  After reading the info presented, I see a lot of benefits in using more oats in my beer.  I've been thinking about which ingredients I can grow myself, and oats might be a decent option. 

One question I have is in regards to water chemistry.  The author states, "Because husked and naked oats causes a marked reduction in nitrogenous compounds in mashes which results in higher pH values, making adjustments to your mash may be necessary when using a high percentage of oats. Both the Koch and Schnitzenbaumer studies found an increase in mash pH with malted and unmalted oats, which occurred more drastically with +30% oats in the mash."

So, is there a way I can account for this when using Bru'nWater? 

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
Re: Brewing with Oats - Water Chemistry Question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:15:27 am »
An SRM based calculator should already account for the higher pH of low Lovibond malts unless specific oats represent an outlier.