Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cane/Corn vs In The Raw Sugar  (Read 1153 times)

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
Cane/Corn vs In The Raw Sugar
« on: February 11, 2018, 01:16:13 pm »
Brewing the Chimay Be Blue recipe from the AHA website next weekend.  It calls for about 1lb of Corn Sugar for a 10 gallon batch.  I have In The Raw Sugar on hand that I could use in place of the corn sugar.  Would this impart any different flavors when compared to Corn/Cane/Beet Sugar?  I have left over from a quad I previously brewed. 

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cane/Corn vs In The Raw Sugar
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 01:53:06 pm »
Cane sugar (sucrose) contributes more fermentable extract by weight than corn sugar (glucose/dextrose/levulose):  1lb/gal sucrose yields 1.0462 sg,  glucose 1.0415.  If you are really trying to hit a certain target, you might want to account for that (or not.)  There can  be a slight  "rummy" flavor contribution from the semi-refined sugar, but at your low percentage and in combination with the  other flavors present it should be minimal.  IIRC In the Raw is a pretty light Demerara type without the harsh, mineral molasses flavors of darker sugars.  Did you like it in the quad? If so....
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Cane/Corn vs In The Raw Sugar
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »
There beer pring sugar calculators that will give you options for various sugar sources.
Google beer priming calculators.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!