Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Will a beer gun really improve my beer?  (Read 4908 times)

The Beerery

Re: Will a beer gun really improve my beer?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 06:35:28 pm »
Freshly bottled to a lab with orbisphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 07:51:27 pm »

Your something else Man. Prost!

Jeff B

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 11:22:47 am »

Very cool.  The reason I was asking is that over tinme oxygen will react with other agents in the beer and will give a lower reading.  I have seen beer bottled and tested day of with a high ppb of O2 and the same beer bottled the same way aged a few weeks and tested again with a lower PPB O2. 

Fermentation at Elevation

The Beerery

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 01:09:55 pm »

Very cool.  The reason I was asking is that over tinme oxygen will react with other agents in the beer and will give a lower reading.  I have seen beer bottled and tested day of with a high ppb of O2 and the same beer bottled the same way aged a few weeks and tested again with a lower PPB O2.

Absolutely correct. Beer has its own antioxidants, only when those are used up will the DO raise.

Offline slickfish1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 02:50:20 pm »
Has anyone tried bottle spunding with a beer gun? I would think it would be pretty easy for those fermenting in kegs.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 08:38:49 am »
I run about 4-5psi, co2 is cheap, I count to 10 in small bottles, 20 in big, then fill.

Take a look at my post in Pimp My System. I put together a gadget to fill bottles with Starsan and purge them with Co2 the same way you would purge a keg. I think it will result in less oxygen in the bottle and less Co2 used than a beer gun.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 08:46:12 am »
I saw that, pretty cool

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 08:52:28 am »
I run about 4-5psi, co2 is cheap, I count to 10 in small bottles, 20 in big, then fill.

Take a look at my post in Pimp My System. I put together a gadget to fill bottles with Starsan and purge them with Co2 the same way you would purge a keg. I think it will result in less oxygen in the bottle and less Co2 used than a beer gun.

If you already have a beer gun, it should be pretty easy to fit a stopper and dip tube to do that, wouldn't it?  One thing I know, my old cpbf can't do that!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline banjo-guy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 09:06:36 am »

If you already have a beer gun, it should be pretty easy to fit a stopper and dip tube to do that, wouldn't it?  One thing I know, my old cpbf can't do that!

I am trying to avoid buying more gear. This gadget probably costs 10 dollars.

Offline 2CrazyDogs

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:25 am »
I have been very pleased with my Last Straw Bottle Filler.  I package in kegs and fill bottles for competitions, homebrew club meetings, or anywhere else I want to bring a small amount of my libation creations.  Does the bottle filler improve my beer, probably not (I do like not having bottle dregs like I get with bottle conditioning).  I would say to improve beer: Sanitation, Fermentation Temperature Control, and quality ingredients are key.  But back to the bottle filler.  Some say that it does not provide a good purge, but administering CO2 to the bottom of the bottle, to me would be a good purge.  CO2 is heavier than air, so it is going to displace most of the air in the bottle.  When you "purge" with the bottle filler, you can actually hear the bottle "filling up" with CO2 (think of filling a bottle from your refrigerator water. The pitch of the noise gets higher as the volume in the bottle increases).  I enjoy using the bottle filler because I don't reduce the pressure in the keg (the bottle filler comes with about 8ft of tubing to reduce pressure through friction/head loss  Don't shorten the length of the tubing). .  I get my bottles ready and I fill them.  Simple as that.  No foam issues at all.  Releasing the pressure on the keg first causes gasses to come out solution.  Once that happens, filling is a nightmare.
Long story short, better beer?  Meh.  A very convenient way to package beer from a keg?  Absolutely!