Author Topic: Thermowell pops out  (Read 529 times)

Offline James K

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 434
  • Flagstaff, AZ
    • View Profile
Thermowell pops out
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:18:44 PM »
I am new to using thermowells and the one I have made of silica can be a pain.  It usually only occurs at the start of fermentation when the carboy and silica stopper are wet.  I haven’t found a remedy or way around this yet. I try to make sure the carboy hole is dry but if I’m pitching liquid yeast usually I get some yeast on the side. And I have to wipe the yeast off to get the thermo well to stick.

Has anyone else had a similar issue to this?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline kramerog

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1856
    • View Profile
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Thermowell pops out
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:41:13 PM »
I have encountered a similar problem with bungs for fermentation locks for glass vessels.

Offline Robert

  • Brewmaster General
  • *******
  • Posts: 2284
    • View Profile
Re: Thermowell pops out
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:52:43 PM »
I've had this sort of trouble trying to insert an oversize tube for blow off in a drilled stopper.  I've learned two things:

1) If the stopper is drilled to fit a normal airlock but you insert something larger, it expands the stopper and it keeps popping out.  Possible solution:  try a stopper the next size down.  Other option:  drill your own stopper to fit your application. (You need to make a tiny hole saw for this, drill bits won't work.)

2) Silicone stoppers are super slippery and don't want to stay in anything you stick 'em in.  They suck.  I hate them. Only solution:  Get a real rubber stopper. 
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline James K

  • Brewer
  • ****
  • Posts: 434
  • Flagstaff, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: Thermowell pops out
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 07:00:52 PM »
I've had this sort of trouble trying to insert an oversize tube for blow off in a drilled stopper.  I've learned two things:

1) If the stopper is drilled to fit a normal airlock but you insert something larger, it expands the stopper and it keeps popping out.  Possible solution:  try a stopper the next size down.  Other option:  drill your own stopper to fit your application. (You need to make a tiny hole saw for this, drill bits won't work.)

2) Silicone stoppers are super slippery and don't want to stay in anything you stick 'em in.  They suck.  I hate them. Only solution:  Get a real rubber stopper.

I like the idea of putting it in a rubber stopper. I think I tried this, but my friend was like, why don’t you let the silicone dry?  But then when I pitch yeast a got a bit on the rim of the carboy. So fml.

I think I was more concerned about having my probe in the middle of the carboy than the stopper sticking. Which was dumb on my part.

I will probably look into making a special stopper. Thanks for the input.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline metron-brewer

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 163
  • White Bear Lake, MN
    • View Profile
Re: Thermowell pops out
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
If your using some kind of harness with straps, a long strip of Velcro works well. I run mine on each side of the Thermowell or airlock and around both sides of the harness.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline KellerBrauer

  • Assistant Brewer
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Bottoms Up!
    • View Profile
Re: Thermowell pops out
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
Greetings - first, I use a funnel when pitching the yeast.  The funnel forces the yeast to pour straight down and does not allow any to come in contact with the carboy opening.  I typically soak my funnel in my 5 gallon bucket of StarSan solution a few minutes before use.  No worries.

Second, I have read many reviews where the silicone bungs are very problematic.  Drilling is an option, but rubber is the best solution.

I use a small piece of insulation to cover my temperature sensor and wrap a piece of elastic with Velcro strap around the fermenter to sample temperature from the outside surface.  Seems to work fine.  :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:17:44 PM by KellerBrauer »
All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. :-)