Author Topic: cold crashing question  (Read 411 times)

Offline MattyAHA

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
cold crashing question
« on: February 15, 2018, 03:11:01 AM »
Is it ok to cold crash in primary for 3 weeks? I have a beer in primary that calls for a 21 day cold crash/conditioning after reaching attenuation..Should i get the beer off the yeast cake before cold crash/condition or is there no problem doing this on the main yeast cake in primary? Thank you Cheers

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
Re: cold crashing question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 03:17:58 AM »
Which yeast, ABV, and what would total time on the yeast be?

Offline MattyAHA

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 03:20:35 AM »
Which yeast, ABV, and what would total time on the yeast be?

wy1388, target ABV is 9-9.5% ( gotta wait for my hydrometer before i find out for sure) and so far its been on the yeast 17 days, so when all said and done i figure it should be on the yeast 1.5- 2 months if i leave it in primary to cold crash/condition, thank you

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 03:22:55 AM »
I have little experience with 1388. I'll let someone else answer.

Offline MattyAHA

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:47 AM »
I have little experience with 1388. I'll let someone else answer.

Thanks Jim cheers

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:41:50 AM »
In general, I would not worry about it. Cold slows breakdown, and generally Belgian strains are pretty tuff.

Offline ynotbrusum

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 04:47:24 PM »
As a low floc yeast, I would think it won't matter a whole lot (if you rack and crash, you will be dropping a lot of yeast out of suspension, anyway, so the beer may still be on a reasonably significant amount of yeast cake).  My thinking is that the beer is in contact with only the top portion of a yeast cake, anyway.  But, I could be convinced otherwise!

I have kept mixed fermentation Belgian beers on yeast cake for a whole lot longer than what you are proposing, without apparent ill effect.  My solera Flanders Red is perennially on some amount of lees.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
Is it ok to cold crash in primary for 3 weeks? I have a beer in primary that calls for a 21 day cold crash/conditioning after reaching attenuation..Should i get the beer off the yeast cake before cold crash/condition or is there no problem doing this on the main yeast cake in primary? Thank you Cheers

Sure, no problem, but that's a ridiculously long time. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »

this recipe calls for a 21 day cold condition cause i think the yeast does not like to floc, but its good to know it will not have any negative affects other then a long wait, thank you Denny and everyone else who chimed in, Cheers

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »

this recipe calls for a 21 day cold condition cause i think the yeast does not like to floc, but its good to know it will not have any negative affects other then a long wait, thank you Denny and everyone else who chimed in, Cheers

I've never had any problem getting it to floc.  IIRC, last time I used that yeast I did a 4-5 day cold crash.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MattyAHA

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »

I've never had any problem getting it to floc.  IIRC, last time I used that yeast I did a 4-5 day cold crash.

Did the beer drop out brilliant from a 4-5 day crash? cause i really would like this beer to be brilliant clear. I plan on bottle aging for a long while so i was planning on dropping out all of the 1388 and adding fresh yeast at bottling to insure yeast health in the bottle. Maybe fine with gelatin?

Offline MattyAHA

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
im on day 6 of the cold crash @28-29F and only about the top quarter of the carboy has cleared, i read that calcium in the water helps yeast floc, in the water i used it had 66 ppm calcium, is that enough calcium to help with precipitation of yeast?