Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Available for download or just for online reading?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
Available for download or just for online reading?
« on: February 16, 2018, 07:07:06 am »
Hello,
I am new here, and I was reading some previous Zymurgy.
I was wondering if there is a way for me to download them to my computer (say in pdf) or if they are only available for online reading?
Thanks for letting me know.

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
Re: Available for download or just for online reading?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 08:53:45 am »
Hey MYR-

Welcome to the AHA Forum!

Zymurgy magazine is digitally available on desktop through eZymurgy or on a smartphone throught he Zymurgy mobile app.

The Zymurgy mobile app allows you to download issues and access them offline. That is unfortunately not currently a feature for desktop.

If you have any other specific questions on digital Zymurgy, feel free to reach out to us directly: info@brewersassociation.org

Cheers!
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:31:30 am »
Great thanks Duncan, I'll download the app so I can read it without internet, nice feature!

Offline Hoffman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 04:59:21 pm »
Heya duncan,

I almost always read on my Kindle DX e-reader -- it's way nicer in the sun than something with a screen, due to the e-ink display.  Unfortunately, it can only read e-books, and can't run apps.

It would appear that at some point, someone decided to disable PDF downloads when uploading the magazine to CoverStand -- would it be possible to re-enable them, so we don't need to use an app to read Zymurgy?

If not, would it be possible to maybe send a link of the PDF download to users?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:35:32 pm »
Yes I agree, having access to pdf would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr_Beer

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 07:03:08 am »
As currently enabled the digital versions of Zymurgy are not compliant with the ADA.

Shame on the AHA for ignoring our disabled members needs.

A PDF version of the magazine and articles would allow for download and viewing options that are ADA compliant.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:25:09 am »
As currently enabled the digital versions of Zymurgy are not compliant with the ADA.

Shame on the AHA for ignoring our disabled members needs.

A PDF version of the magazine and articles would allow for download and viewing options that are ADA compliant.

The ability to increase font size IS built into the digital version of the magazine. Others have pointed out how to do it. I just tried those tips myself on several different browsers with 100% success. If it won't work on your browser I would suggest the fault lies in your court and not with the AHA. Your cry of ADA non compliance rings hollow.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Mr_Beer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 07:26:49 am »
This reply is directed at Kevins reply.

First, let me refer Kevin to the related posting regarding ADA compliance.  Several points need to be made...
  • There are significant issues between platforms for Zymurgy.  Most folks would call them bugs, others might characterize them differently.  In any case it is clear that the results are different depending on platform.
  • The fact that the electronic publication is done by the printer for the hard copy magazine most likely explains the variety of differences and design compromises.
  • By the recognized standards of today, Zymurgy is non ADA compliant.  ADA compliance deals with a variety of issues, not just making the text larger.
  • The app itself is reasonable except that on an Android platform if the reading app is minimized to do a web search or read some other material when the app is again brought into focus the position of the reader in Zymurgy has been lost and the app opens to the cover page.  Definitely annoying and also would be considered non-compliant and certainly not is expected based on hundreds of other apps.

I have brought these issues into focus in an attempt to help resolve obvious problems.  If the product developer does not understand what is wrong it is difficult to fix it.

Brewers Publications may choose to ignore them but my sense is that if they care about their customers they will correct them over time. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Available for download or just for online reading?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 08:02:17 am »
Mr Beer,

Instead of alluding to standard ADA practices why not provide them?  A simple link to the standard or authoritative information might be all it takes.

I find it interesting that folks tell others what they’re not doing correctly, but then don’t provide the correct way.  Not just in this circumstance but throughout this forum spanning numerous topics, I read “not this but that” ...but the “that” is left to the reader to research and apply.  Often the reader is left with an implied “because I am more experienced and I said so”.

For example: Screen-reader software is a form of assistive technology that reads a screen's display aloud to the user. It can be especially useful for people who have visual or motor impairments. Here is an example of how it works.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/accessibility-adobe/opening-and-reading-pdf-documents-with-accessibility-tools/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:19:27 am by BrewBama »