Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NEIPA "Off" Flavor - Blue Cheese - Suddenly  (Read 2542 times)

Offline cestrada

• 1st Kit
NEIPA "Off" Flavor - Blue Cheese - Suddenly
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:49:34 am »
I'm always curious to taste each element and sample stages to better understand how my "end result's" journey came to fruition.  This being said, I came across this last night:

4 Days into bottle conditioning, my NEIPA has a "blue cheese" flavor to it that was not there before.  When I sampled this on bottling day, it smelled and tasted amazing.  I am hoping it is my persistent curiosity that is hitting me over the head.

Here are a few quick stats:

5.5 Gal
Brewed, pitched (Wyeast 1318 London Ale, 2L starter), attenuated 85% ~ 5 Days.
5 Days In, Added Pasteurized Mango;
Dry hopped with 'new' hop sock - 5 Days
Removed hops, 2nd Dry hopped with 'new' hop sock - 5 Days
Removed hops and Mango, cold crashed over night.
~15 Days, Bottled.

So, here I am on day 19(ish) with my dilemma.  At each point, I would sample the beer and I was very pleased with the outcome.  Needless to say, it never remotely gave off a flavor or aroma of cheese.

I am pretty OCD and I am a stickler for sanitation and have never came across this yet.

The only theories I had were:
1)  My beer is ruined!  Cue the waterworks, this man is going to cry.
2)  The yeast is still at work and this is just green

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: NEIPA "Off" Flavor - Blue Cheese - Suddenly
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:59:49 am »
I'm wondering if you are encountering isovaleric acid from old hops.  I have only encountered isovaleric acid in taste tests.

Offline cestrada

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:06:39 am »
I'm wondering if you are encountering isovaleric acid from old hops.  I have only encountered isovaleric acid in taste tests.

This ran across my mind as well, but I dismissed it initially because these were supposedly still fresh, climate controlled hops.  On my part, I always keep them in their vacuum sealed bags in a freezer.

But now that you brought this back up into the possibility-mix, it's entirely plausible that these could have actually been old, or mishandled/improperly stored hops prior to my purchasing. 

Le Sigh...  :-\

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:49 am »
Doesn't isovaleric acid break down to fruity esters in fermentation, or am I thinking of some other cheesy fatty acid?  If I'm right, might not time solve the problem?
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 03:39:24 pm »
Brett can turn isovaleric acid into ethyl isovalerate according to Milk the Funk: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Isovaleric_Acid.

The IPA can become a Brett project or may already be one.  Having done a Brett project with beer that had a lot of butyric acid, the result was more interesting than good.

Offline cestrada

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 11:52:53 am »
Thanks for the link Kramerog.  A very good read.

I’m hoping, like Robert mentioned, it wears off in time (the shorter the better since this is a NEIPA).

I had my wife taste it and she said she could not detect the flavor or aroma. I’ve read that a certain % of people don’t pick up the isovaleric acid.

In any case, I will revisit this in a few more days when I give it another taste.

Offline cestrada

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 04:25:19 pm »
Update:

3 Days further into conditioning, the isoloveric acid flavor pacified.

I’m not quite sure if it was the yeast that continued to nurture the mango, or perhaps some other factor.

While I am elated that I didn’t actually ruin this brew, I am now stuck wondering how this flavor and aroma was so prevalent only a few days ago, and now it is completely gone.

I’ll provide another update in a few more days again.

Cheers! 🍺

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:54:58 am »
Over the last six years brewing I have learned the following...

yeast and wort make beer

sanitation and time make good beer

I am forced to relearn this constantly as I am the laziest and most impatient brewer you could imagine.