Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Easy Irish Guinness beer clone?  (Read 10473 times)

Offline barleybear

• 1st Kit
    • Barley Bear's Homebrew Blog
Easy Irish Guinness beer clone?
« on: January 01, 2010, 08:44:20 pm »
Hello all

I have been brewing beer for a few months and I want to try to do something special for my wife.  She has told me for years about her trip to Ireland and how great the Guinness beer is there.  My wife does not even like most beer and thinks that the import Guinness taste's too bitter and too thick and the head is not creamy enough.  I have never had the pleasure of a trip to Ireland but I would love to make the beer she remembers,   I am not quite up to doing an all grain brew yet but I would love to here if anyone knows a good recipe using extract and steeping grains that can make a beer close to what my wife remembers.  I have found one or two recipes that say they will make this beer but there is nothing like hearing form folks that have made and tasted the beer. Thank you all for any advice you can give.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Easy Irish Guinness beer clone?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:39:32 am »
Irish stout is an easy recipe. Basically it is just 70% pale malt, 20% flaked barley and 10% roasted barley with about 30-50 IBUs of a bittering addition only. The problem will be two fold: One, you will need to do a mini-mash with the Flaked Barley (might not be much of a problem, pretty easy to mash a couple pound of grain) and , two, you are not going to be able to serve the Stout "properly" without either a beer engine or a nitrous, Co2 mix (beer gas) with Stout Faucet. This  gives the beer its creamy, long lasting head and it will be hard to achieve this with bottle conditioning or with a simple keg set-up.

That said, you can still make a really nice dry stout following those guidelines. Another thing you might consider is the Guinness "widget" cans. They have a small widget inside the cans that releases nitrous into the beer and simulates that creamy, cascading effect that you get when serving beer on tap through a proper faucet. 20 bucks for an 18 pack at costco.

Offline barleybear

• 1st Kit
    • Barley Bear's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:37:45 am »
Thanks for the advice!  I will give the beer a try without the nitrous and see how it comes out.  I have never done any kind of mash before.  Wish me luck :)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:06:33 am »
I make a dry stout and have no beer gas or stout faucet.
Sometimes I'll take one of those meat injector syringes, put it
in the glass of beer suck up some beer and while holding the tip near the bottom of the glass
 squirt it back into the glass. Knocks out some of the carbonation
and gives that cascading foam effect. I don't remember where I picked up
this trick.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:12 am »
Another thing you might consider is the Guinness "widget" cans. They have a small widget inside the cans that releases nitrous into the beer and simulates that creamy, cascading effect that you get when serving beer on tap through a proper faucet. 20 bucks for an 18 pack at costco.

Are you suggesting he just buy the commercial product for his wife or that you can reuse the widget's?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:19:48 am »
No, you can't reuse the widgets. I just meant if he/she had never tried the Nitro cans they are pretty good!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 09:59:01 am »
They have a small widget inside the cans that releases nitrous into the beer and simulates that creamy, cascading effect that you get when serving beer on tap through a proper faucet. 20 bucks for an 18 pack at costco.

I believe you meant "nitrogen"?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:00:55 am »
I make a dry stout and have no beer gas or stout faucet.
Sometimes I'll take one of those meat injector syringes, put it
in the glass of beer suck up some beer and while holding the tip near the bottom of the glass
 squirt it back into the glass. Knocks out some of the carbonation
and gives that cascading foam effect. I don't remember where I picked up
this trick.

Guinness used to come packaged with a syringe to do just that trick.  It's been related on the internet many times, so maybe you saw it there somewhere.  Also, if you simply overcarb your beer you will achieve the same effect.  The high carbonation will form a dense cascading head, and the higher pressure will knock some carbonation out of your beer, leaving the "smooth" Guinness mouthfeel.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:07:29 am »
They have a small widget inside the cans that releases nitrous into the beer and simulates that creamy, cascading effect that you get when serving beer on tap through a proper faucet. 20 bucks for an 18 pack at costco.

It makes guinness go really fast!.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:55:54 am »

Yeah well, I knew what I meant. So did you.  :P I won't deny, I am slightly embarrassed. Wish this was the most embarrassing thing I ever did though.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:05:54 am by majorvices »

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 11:05:04 am »
Also, if you simply overcarb your beer you will achieve the same effect.  The high carbonation will form a dense cascading head, and the higher pressure will knock some carbonation out of your beer, leaving the "smooth" Guinness mouthfeel.

I dunno - I have obercarbbed many a beer and it isn't the same to me. I know what you are talking about but there is a substantial difference to my taste. You can get the cascade effect though that is for sure.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 11:16:58 am »
Not being much of a Guinness drinker, I appreciate your point, Keith.

www.dennybrew.com