Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling and over-carbonation over time, using calculator for style  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Uvolnit

• Cellarman
Re: Bottling and over-carbonation over time, using calculator for style
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2018, 10:56:06 pm »
You can save yourself the trouble of bottle brushing if the bottles are reasonably clean to start with:  when you pour one, rinse well or wash out with a little dish liquid before storing.  To prepare a batch, soak in PBW and rinse well.  Visually confirm that the bottles are really clean. Before bottling, sanitize with iodophor, not Star San.   Not only does it not foam, it also kills everything.  Star San kills  most (but not necessarily all) bacteria, but not yeast, wild yeast, molds and other fungi.  Iodophor kills it all.

(If PBW leaves a chalky deposit though,  Star San is good at removing that.  Might be a useful step.)

Thanks for the quality reply; exactly what i was looking for!  I was recommended Star-San by my local home brew store so I haven't had the chance to experiment with others.  I bought a giant bottle online for cheap and have been using only that.
I always rinse my bottles well with water after pouring, but if there's stuck on sediment it likely doesn't come off until scrubbing later on in the process.
Iodophor sounds like the miracle product I'm looking for.

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Bottling and over-carbonation over time, using calculator for style
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 05:40:03 am »
Well, nothing's a miracle, you still have to be diligent and do the work.  But it sounds like with better racking technique and sanitation you're on the way to consistent quality beer. Happy brewing.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.