Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Session beer the future?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Session beer the future?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 06:04:01 am »
Spotted this interesting article:

The Buzz in Stockholm Is Craft Beer With Less Buzz https://nyti.ms/2GbsKQG

A bar opened in Portland recently called Sessionable, with the idea of low alcohol beers to promote pub culture of sitting with your friends at the bar and have a pint or three and still being able to walk home without puking.  People already seem to be shying away from 8%, 100IBU double IPAs. 

That said, I dont think calorie count will deter people from high ABV beers.  Let's be honest... does it deter people from McDonalds? There will always be a market for double IPAs, barleywines and imperial stouts.  I recently had Mocha Wednesday from The Bruery and it clocks in at 19%.  That to me is a little excessive, but it was a delicious beer.

Just wait till you see the plummet in high gravity sales when breweries are forced to release calorie info on the label.

I think that unless they're pretty dumb most people buying high gravity beers have to realize the calories are higher.

This is a generalization I realize, but I think that *most* people don't care/pay attention to the calories in anything.  Food/Beer/Wine whatever.  A lot of people only pay attention when they are trying to lose weight or change eating habits.   You would think 1000 calories would stop people from their daily triple mocha frappa whatever, but it doesn't. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 08:08:59 am »
PA used to do the same. So stupid. In addition the TTB won't allow us to call something "Strong" .... but "High Gravity" is fine.... I reiterate, so stupid.
My peeve was that it in fact thwarted the responsible drinker who WANTED a low abv beer.  How many drunk drivers were created, who honestly said, "but I only had two beers...I don't understand officer!"

Totally agree. I hate when others try to think for me. I'm a grown ass adult. My wife's car does that. It locks the back and passenger doors. Infuriates me. If I wanted the doors locked,  would have locked 'em!!!

It does beg the question-is Bud select a thing because people are calorie conscious? Or is it for people that don't like bud light?

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:45 am »

I hate when others try to think for me. I'm a grown ass adult. My wife's car does that. It locks the back and passenger doors. Infuriates me. If I wanted the doors locked,  would have locked 'em!!!

Soon your car will know before you do whether you want the doors locked.  It will know _better than you_ what you want.  _Everything_ will.  Have a nice day. ;)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 04:19:47 pm »

I hate when others try to think for me. I'm a grown ass adult. My wife's car does that. It locks the back and passenger doors. Infuriates me. If I wanted the doors locked,  would have locked 'em!!!

Soon your car will know before you do whether you want the doors locked.  It will know _better than you_ what you want.  _Everything_ will.  Have a nice day. ;)

"What did you dream?.... It's alright, we told you what to dream..."

Sorry, couldn't resist... I know return you to your regularly scheduled forum post.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline BananaSlug

• 1st Kit
  • Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 08:46:50 am »
PA used to do the same. So stupid. In addition the TTB won't allow us to call something "Strong" .... but "High Gravity" is fine.... I reiterate, so stupid.
My peeve was that it in fact thwarted the responsible drinker who WANTED a low abv beer.  How many drunk drivers were created, who honestly said, "but I only had two beers...I don't understand officer!"

I think the correct word in this situation is "ociffer" ;)