Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dark Fig Saison  (Read 10027 times)

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
Dark Fig Saison
« on: July 14, 2012, 01:43:44 pm »
Here's one for the holidays:

Dark Fig Saison

9.00 lb Pale malt
2.00 lb Crystal 120
1.00 lb Special B
0.50 lb Wheat malt
0.50 lb Carawheat
0.50 lb Flaked oats
0.50 lb Caramunich
18.00 oz Mexican piloncillo sugar

1.25 oz US Brewer's Gold
1.25 oz Hallertauer

Fig compote: simmer 2 lb dried black mission figs with zest from 2 valencia oranges, 1 small cinnamon stick, splash of dark rum, 6 oz piloncillo

Double decoction, add fig compote and remaining 12.00 oz piloncillo during late boil

I plan to rack this on Brett Brux and bourbon oak before bottling in champagne bottles. This'll be a cellar beer which I hope to have ready for the holidays!

Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline dee

• Cellarman
Re: Dark Fig Saison
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:02 am »
Have you brewed with figs before?  If so, how does the fig character present itself after fermentation.  I have access to 20lbs of figs right now and would like to brew something with them.  I was thinking a Belgian style of moderate gravity with WLP530.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:34:12 am »
I've mentioned this before....a great way to use figs is to wait til fermentation is done.  Then caramelize the fogs in a super red hot wok and deglaze with some of the beer.  Put all of that in a secondary fermenter and rack the beer onto it.  Let it go a couple weeks.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:48:43 am »
I've mentioned this before....a great way to use figs is to wait til fermentation is done.  Then caramelize the fogs in a super red hot wok and deglaze with some of the beer.  Put all of that in a secondary fermenter and rack the beer onto it.  Let it go a couple weeks.

This was my method with a dubbel.  Fantastic result.  I used rum to deglaze.

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »
Have you brewed with figs before?  If so, how does the fig character present itself after fermentation.  I have access to 20lbs of figs right now and would like to brew something with them.  I was thinking a Belgian style of moderate gravity with WLP530.

First time brewing with figs. I just racked it after about 5 weeks or so and it's damn tasty! The fig character is pretty subtle but nice. Overall, pretty dry for having lots of carmelization and still maintained decent body considering the amount of added sugar. Racked it on 1.5 oak spirals soaked in Kraken rum. Will probably bottle in a few weeks.

As for the yeast, I used T-58. I'm not familiar with WLP530 but I'm sure it will work just fine. Good luck!

Quote from: denny

I'd like to try this method next time. I decided to skip the Brett this time just to get a good idea of what this beer has to offer. Will probably tweak it in the future.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:15:32 am by kraftwerk »
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »
Just in time for Thanksgiving!

Bottled this a month ago in champagne bottles with corks and crown caps. Used 1/2 pack rehydrated Red Star champagne yeast and simple syrup made with 1 cup dextrose. (I know you are supposed to weigh it out but I still don't own a drug dealer's scale)

I must say this is a seriously tasty beer! Very pleased with T-58 yeast, although I would like to play around with some other yeasts like WLP670 American Farmhouse. The latter makes a very nice funky golden http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=12761.msg168290#msg168290

For the fig saison, I would like to add a little more cinnamon and maybe try bourbon or rye-soaked oak spirals. Oh, also my first time using the spirals. They rock! I also have about 1pt oaky kraken left over which I can use for a little extra flavor in upcoming batches.

Someone please brew this and give feedback! I'm very proud of this recipe as it is one of my first cellar brews. I hope to tweak and re-brew it many times.

Offline jorjon000

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:44:15 am »
7 years later...how'd it turn out? I'm thinking along the same lines. I want a Dark Saison with WLP 670 and add some figs in at the end of 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 10:08:04 am »
Doubt you will get an answer.  That user has not been active on the forum since 2014.  But stranger things have happened.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 10:09:02 am »
You never know. This user might check the forum every day hoping somebody asks a question about this beer.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing