Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Alternatives to Wyeast 1945  (Read 1820 times)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Alternatives to Wyeast 1945
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:45:31 am »
Hello all,

Been a long while since I've been here after taking a long unexpected brewing hiatus. Life stepped in and took away my brewing time. Now I want to charge back in and am planning to brew some of my favorite recipes. Problem is, my favorite yeast strain has been discontinued.

Wyeast NeoBrittania 1945 was a Northern Brewer exclusive and is no longer available. Wyeast confirmed for me that nobody else will be selling it. They've suggested I substitute with London Ale III 1318. For those that have used both, do you feel this is a good substitute?

I have 2 expired packs of 1945 that I'm going to try and save. I plan to make starters and store small amounts long term. Eventually, I know there will be too many mutations for me to keep using these, with my limited yeast storage abilities. So, an alternative is my long-term best option.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Alternatives to Wyeast 1945
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:44:13 am »
Plate a sample, pull individual colonies and store on slants. I've had good success up to 18 months.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29:10 am »
Plate a sample, pull individual colonies and store on slants. I've had good success up to 18 months.
I've never gone that route, but may need to. Ideally, I'll find an alternative strain readily available.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline FermentedCulture

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:31:27 pm »
I'm sure other yeast labs would be interested in it, all the new ones seem to sell other yeasts with "compares to" in the titles. Although maybe there's a brew club or yeast rancher near by where you live who would be happy to bank the strain and share it when needed?