Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer line cooling  (Read 2349 times)

Offline bldeagle1

• 1st Kit
Beer line cooling
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:57:09 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with air (fan) cooled beer lines? I am planning my basement bar build with a 4 faucet/line custom tower, and it will be between 7 and 8 feet from the side of the keezer to the faucets. The piping will be under the bar in 3" PVC piping with foam insulation inside the pipe (and outside if need be). I have read that air cooling systems are only good to about 5', and I would think a glycol system (even a homemade one) could be overkill for 7 feet or so?? Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

Offline HydraulicSammich

• Assistant Brewer
  • Logan, UT
Re: Beer line cooling
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:09:18 am »
Check the Micromatic web site. They sell little Dayton squirrel cage fans for this purpose. I use one in my keezer to transfer colder bottom air up flexible PVC to a ridged PVC manifold across my taps. Holes having been bored in the manifold directly above each shank. 
AHA Member 900001775

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:10:24 am »
Check the Micromatic web site. They sell little Dayton squirrel cage fans for this purpose. I use one in my keezer to transfer colder bottom air up flexible PVC to a ridged PVC manifold across my taps. Holes having been bored in the manifold directly above each shank.

That’s a very interesting concept.  If I understand what you have explained, you take cold air from your keezer and blow it through the PVC jacket that houses the lines serving your faucets?  If this is accurate, may I ask: how do you replace the air in your keezer that’s been removed with this process?  It seems to me the keezer will be drawn into a negative pressure and eventually stop moving air......unless the PVC jacket is piped back to the keezer?  Just curious.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline bldeagle1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:44:32 pm »
I have looked at that, the smallest one says it's only good for 5 feet, and I think that is straight line only. Mine is about 7 feet with 3 bends....