Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cornbread  (Read 1797 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Cornbread
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:04:20 am »
My mother and grandmother made two types of cornbread. One was in a cast iron corn stick pan and the other in a cast iron skillet. The corn sticks seemed to have a finer texture than the one in the cast iron skillet. She would save the skin from pork and fry it into cracklins and add that to the cornbread. It was dry, but delicious and we seemed to have it every Saturday.

For the Superbowl we have made a tradition of chili and cornbread and the cornbread has little resemblance to that of my childhood. It is however easy, moist, and delicious. I thought someone might enjoy the recipe.

2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
3 eggs beaten
1 cup Sour Cream
1 Stick Butter Melted
1 can cream-style corn
1 teaspoon salt

Mix all together and place into a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 375F for 35 minutes until golden brown.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Cornbread
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:10:43 am »
My mother and grandmother made two types of cornbread. One was in a cast iron corn stick pan and the other in a cast iron skillet. The corn sticks seemed to have a finer texture than the one in the cast iron skillet. She would save the skin from pork and fry it into cracklins and add that to the cornbread. It was dry, but delicious and we seemed to have it every Saturday.

For the Superbowl we have made a tradition of chili and cornbread and the cornbread has little resemblance to that of my childhood. It is however easy, moist, and delicious. I thought someone might enjoy the recipe.

2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
3 eggs beaten
1 cup Sour Cream
1 Stick Butter Melted
1 can cream-style corn
1 teaspoon salt

Mix all together and place into a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 375F for 35 minutes until golden brown.
My mom made cornbread in those corn stick pans!  I think they belonged to her mom, who I never knew.  When my dad died and I cleaned out the house, that was something I had my eye out for, but never found.  Good memories! (Mom's cornbread probably objectively sucked, but warm memories anyway.)
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 07:31:52 am »
You got me at 1 cup sour cream and a stick of butter.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:38:17 am »
^^^^
And the can of cream corn is a real kicker.  In the summer when you have sweet corn around, you can use the back of a knife to "smoosh" the kernels off the cob and use that in the same way!
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 07:40:44 am »
Jiffy Mix. Family owned business not far from here. They have been around a long long time.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 11:41:00 am »
I add bacon, cheddar cheese, and cooked corn to mine.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:01:56 pm »
I pretty much just follow the directions on the bag of Lilly White. Sometimes add jalepenos and cheese. And if you don't cook it in a cast iron skillet you are doing it wrong. ;)