Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing Barley  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
Growing Barley
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:04:09 pm »
Has any one tried growing barley on a small scale.  I have an acre of land I live on and really want to try growing barley and then harvesting it and maybe malting it if I am feeling that adventurous.  I will only plant a small section of the property, maybe 500 square feet total. 

I live in Flagstaff, AZ (USDA hardiness zone 6a) and have been reading a bit about growing barley.  It seems like an easy pant to grow up here as we have a wet spring and a dry summer.  I figured I would reach out here to see if anyone has any tricks or ideas for growing some barley. 

lemme know
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Growing Barley
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:00 pm »

Has any one tried growing barley on a small scale.  I have an acre of land I live on and really want to try growing barley and then harvesting it and maybe malting it if I am feeling that adventurous.  I will only plant a small section of the property, maybe 500 square feet total. 

I live in Flagstaff, AZ (USDA hardiness zone 6a) and have been reading a bit about growing barley.  It seems like an easy pant to grow up here as we have a wet spring and a dry summer.  I figured I would reach out here to see if anyone has any tricks or ideas for growing some barley. 

lemme know

I'd talk to your local extension agents. If you're not familiar, Extension is an agricultural outreach program started with the land grant universities to spread knowledge and best practices.

https://extension.arizona.edu/forage-and-grain-crops

https://cals.arizona.edu/forageandgrain/small-grain-faqs

"What seeding rate should I use for small grains?

100 to 120 pounds of seed per acre for barley and 120 to 150 pounds of seed per acre for wheat."

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »
I've grown some in the backyard for fun & even malted a couple of pounds.  There are a couple of threads on the subject.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:44:02 am »

lemme know

I'd talk to your local extension agents. If you're not familiar, Extension is an agricultural outreach program started with the land grant universities to spread knowledge and best practices.

https://extension.arizona.edu/forage-and-grain-crops

https://cals.arizona.edu/forageandgrain/small-grain-faqs

"What seeding rate should I use for small grains?

100 to 120 pounds of seed per acre for barley and 120 to 150 pounds of seed per acre for wheat."

Thanks Wilbur I will be sure to reach out to them.

I've grown some in the backyard for fun & even malted a couple of pounds.  There are a couple of threads on the subject.

I tried a search through the forums and came up with nothing.  I will continue to look
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 10:25:10 am »
dunno how to link it, but try searching  "growing your own" there's a good one in "Ingredients"
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­