Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mash or steep  (Read 1605 times)

Offline aaspinall

• Cellarman
mash or steep
« on: February 26, 2018, 06:37:55 pm »
I'm using an AHA recipe to make a Tank 7 Saison clone. This recipe uses about 6 lbs of malt extract, but about 6 lbs of grain and flaked corn. The directions state "mash pale malt, flaked corn, and wheat malt for 45 min at 150 degrees". Then it states "Rinse grains." Do I really mash the grains and sparge, or do I steep the grains and rinse?
I'm confused by these directions. Give me your ideas, please.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: mash or steep
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 06:44:31 pm »
Mashing is just a glorified steep.  You can just steep the grains and corn in a big bag, keeping at 150 F for 45 minutes just like it says, then dunk the bag into another pot with some water, then combine all the liquid, add the malt extract, then continue the brew day as normal.  Partial mash, and even all-grain BIAB, truly is as easy as that!  (Just make sure the grains (not the flaked corn) are crushed/milled!)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
You are definitely going to have to "mash" and while it is technically "steeping" the difference is you are converting the starches into sugars. And, to be sure, you will need to rely on the enzymes present in the malt to convert the starches in the corn, because corn doesn't have enzymes on its own.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 03:04:50 pm »
The last time I made a extract beer I had two pots. One to boil the dme and one to make a pre-boil tea. I would do a biab concept with the grains, and in your case corn. After the biab brewed away for 45 mins or an hour. I would pour that mixture into the mash (dme base) and increase temp till boiling. I have never really sparged with this method, or rinsed the grains. I just treat the biab like a teabag, and keep dunking the grains until I feel that steeping is no longer necessary. Then I boil.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."