Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Knee high panty hose  (Read 2271 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Knee high panty hose
« on: March 08, 2018, 12:29:57 pm »
I have used knee high panty hose for years, to dry hop kegs.

What I am wondering, is can they be used in the boil for hop pellets?  I'm not sure I want to boil nylon for 60 minutes and risk ruining a batch.  I am just curious if anyone here has tried this.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Knee high panty hose
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:56:38 pm »
Well it won't melt.  If you are concerned that boiling might knee highs cause off flavors for unknown reasons, try boiling them in water.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 01:51:50 pm »
Good idea.  I will try that, as an experiment.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 03:28:17 pm »
Are they cheaper than paint strainer bags?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:49:55 pm »
I tried them some years ago.  Can't remember if it was for dry hopping or boiling.

I found that the hops floated way too much.  I think that the mesh of the fabric is tighter than nylon hop bags so you might not get as much extraction.  Of course, you can always adjust for that.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:19:55 pm »
Are they cheaper than paint strainer bags?

They are a lot cheaper than paint strainer bags, to the point of one time use, then throw away.  That is what I am looking for, a disposable hop bag.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 08:42:05 pm »
I never wanted to boil in a bag.  So I built a stainless “spider”, then I wasn’t happy. I’m going to buy a hop bag from Wilser. The material on the cooler bag I just got is awesome. Reusable, and with the consistency of panty hose. To answer, IMO it would not pose a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
I never wanted to boil in a bag.  So I built a stainless “spider”, then I wasn’t happy. I’m going to buy a hop bag from Wilser. The material on the cooler bag I just got is awesome. Reusable, and with the consistency of panty hose. To answer, IMO it would not pose a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like me. Once upon a time I was convinced I needed to build a hop spider. It was just a PITA and it seemed like I needed way more hops. I switched to all pellets, going commando in the kettle and fermentor. Never looked back. I used to think about dry hopping in the keg, but haven't. Now that I use the approved purge, I have just put keg hopping out of my mind entirely.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 08:26:26 am »
Question:  If they are knee-high can they really be called panty hose?  :)    I  too have given up on dry hop in the keg and now drop hop in the primary right after the krausen  drops. After filling and pushing out the sanitizer with co2 I just find it counter productive.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 07:35:05 am »
The melting point of nylon is close to 400F. I have used nylon bags before, no problems. Those were not dyed, I don’t know if dyed nylons are stable, so find the white ones.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!