Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Online shopping  (Read 3725 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Online shopping
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 10:09:40 am »
Really? I didn’t know that. Did Rebel change ownership?

Offline BrewBama

Online shopping
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 06:11:11 pm »

I’m not sure what happened. I used them ‘cause they were up the road, then they closed retail ops, then reopened but the address is in MN now. Too much drama for me.  So I go with Great Fermentations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:14:23 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

Online shopping
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 06:17:34 pm »

I’m not sure what happened. I used them ‘cause they were up the road, then they closed retail ops, then reopened but the address is in MN now. Too much drama for me.  So I go with Great Fermentations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use Adventures in Homebrewing now. They seem to have a sale nearly all the time and I like the 5% back program. I also like morebeer.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 10:01:26 pm »
I like More beer, but I try and shop local if I can. Prices for grain can be a little pricey, his usually aren't stored cold, not a lot of liquid yeast variety, but something available is better than nothing. Equipment is pretty much always online, but not for cost reasons.

I think Roberts comments on label peelers is spot on, how do you know how do you know if these places store things properly? For the big retailers I'm sure they're rotating through their stock, but most places aren't posting their sales figures.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 07:53:58 am »
Three that I mainly use (in order):
1.  Northern Brewer - Yeah, I know AB owns them, but the people are still great and their selection is good.  A little disappointed that they stopped carrying White Labs.  They are local for me.

2. Adventures in Homebrewing:  Great service, my go to when I can’t get something at NB.

3. MoreBeer: Close second to AIH.  Love how they are constantly thinking about new things.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 10:09:03 am »
I wish northern brewer had better grain prices.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 10:04:06 pm »

Whats your expectation? I've always thought they were pretty comparable to MoreBeer and the rest.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 11:24:16 pm »

Whats your expectation? I've always thought they were pretty comparable to MoreBeer and the rest.
$2.30-3.00 for specialty with no quantity breaks is a high IMO. Most base malts hover around or over $2, again too high IMO. They have a lot of cool malts, just too expensive. Then add the $8 shipping. You’d think those AB contracts would bring better pricing.

Prices at MoreBeer are much more reasonable.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 12:24:56 pm »
I have so many good options close by, but I shop online at Williams Brewing for those items that aren't available/convenient locally (things like sinamar and brewtan b).

I buy most of my hops from Yakima Valley Hops.

I buy 95% of my non-hop ingredients and equipment from F. H. Steinbart (local) and sometimes buy base malt (especially imported stuff) from Brew Brothers, who are semi-local.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 12:54:12 pm »
I like Great Fermentations when ordering online, but I can buy a 50 lb. sack of base malt at my favorite local brewery for $42.50 with no shipping charges since I carry it out.

If you haven't tried it yet, I would encourage you to contact your local brewery or brewpub and see it they will
help you out.  Most want to sell in full sacks though.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline tookalisten

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 08:26:15 am »
MoreBeer as I always have enough to get the free shipping.  I also like their expanded AG kits for known commercial beers.  I used to buy all bulk grains and hops; but now that I don't brew as often as I used to, the AG kits are pretty convenient and the quality has always been good for me. 
Primary:
Kegged: IPA, Amber, Brown, Pale Ale

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 08:37:35 am »
Morebeer is great, if only for the free shipping. Their kits are nice if you are trying a style that you have never brewed. I have also had good luck with AIH and amazon. Amazon is great if you need shipping fast and free or if there is a high probability of a return.