Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SmaSh Abbey  (Read 2447 times)

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
SmaSh Abbey
« on: March 01, 2018, 02:50:07 pm »
For whatever reason I am thinking of playing around with abbey strains and am wanting recommendations for yeast ingredient.

I plan to use Munich malt and hallerau mittelfruh hops. Quantities not determined. But I have about 100#s of Munich and a # of mittelfruh. I was wondering about yeast strains to play around with for this SmaSh beer. My LHBS carries dry yeast and Imperial. I just made a Trappist single with The triple double imperial strain and so far I am satisfied. 

Does anyone have recommendations for Belgian strains of yeast that might serve well with the grain and hop ingredient?
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: SmaSh Abbey
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 03:25:36 pm »
I use Triple Double for my Belgian Dark and I like it.  I can't remember what Imperial calls it (Workhorse?) but I'm interested to try the Chimay strain as well.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 11:44:17 pm »
I use Triple Double for my Belgian Dark and I like it.  I can't remember what Imperial calls it (Workhorse?) but I'm interested to try the Chimay strain as well.
Imperial calls it triple double :)
Have you played around with all Munich and any strains?

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 08:31:11 am »

I haven't played around with malt.  I don't do all grain.  From the info I've read Triple Double is Westmalle and the Chimay is a different one.  I'm sure they are similar.  Sorry that I can't help with the SMaSH aspect, just more commenting on the Abbey strains.

According to this chart, Chimay is B63 Monastic.  Westmalle is B48 Triple Double and B51 Workhorse is Kasteel.  I knew there was a Belgian called Workhorse but I had the wrong one. I don't know how accurate this is, but it matches info I've seen elsewhere.  Imperial is not as open about their sources, although they hint to some in the name, i.e. Stefon for Wienstephaner and Joystick for the Rogue Pacman.

https://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/media/YeastComparison3.pdf

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 09:33:45 am »
I'm not aware of any Belgian beers that are all munich or close to all munich which might give you a good example of how those strains compare in your homebrewing to their commercial origin. But that may not be your goal.

Any of those Trappist/abbey strains would work well with those ingredients. The Chouffe strain would probably be on the bottom of the list for me because I think it tastes better in drier beers than what you'll get from all munich but probably still works.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 10:14:30 am »

I haven't played around with malt.  I don't do all grain.  From the info I've read Triple Double is Westmalle and the Chimay is a different one.  I'm sure they are similar.  Sorry that I can't help with the SMaSH aspect, just more commenting on the Abbey strains.

According to this chart, Chimay is B63 Monastic.  Westmalle is B48 Triple Double and B51 Workhorse is Kasteel.  I knew there was a Belgian called Workhorse but I had the wrong one. I don't know how accurate this is, but it matches info I've seen elsewhere.  Imperial is not as open about their sources, although they hint to some in the name, i.e. Stefon for Wienstephaner and Joystick for the Rogue Pacman.

This is what Imperial sent to me when I asked about their strain origins...

Fermentation at Elevation

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 11:28:19 am »
I'm not aware of any Belgian beers that are all munich or close to all munich which might give you a good example of how those strains compare in your homebrewing to their commercial origin. But that may not be your goal.

Any of those Trappist/abbey strains would work well with those ingredients. The Chouffe strain would probably be on the bottom of the list for me because I think it tastes better in drier beers than what you'll get from all munich but probably still works.

I’m not aware either but I did make an all Munich ale a few months ago that turned out really nice. Now I want to see how Munich does with a different yeast strain.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
SmaSh Abbey
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 06:18:01 pm »
Imperial calls it triple double

This is what Imperial sent to me when I asked about their strain origins...

I got an error code when trying to view your photo bucket graphics so fixed it in the quote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:20:15 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Adam

• Cellarman
    • High Altitude Home Brew Supply
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:03:19 am »
Thanks BrewBama!

How did you go about fixing it?
Fermentation at Elevation

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 02:17:10 pm »
We have that same list posted at our LHBS.  The saltcity one *seems* a little more up to date (it's dated 2016 I believe) but none of them are different.  Exactly the same as that list.