Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Polyclar Brewbrite  (Read 12735 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Polyclar Brewbrite
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2016, 06:32:09 pm »
All I'm finding are Polyclar VT and Polyclar 10 (not even sure if they are different).

The directions for both are to add post-fermentation, which I have no interest in.  Can either of these be used successfully in the boil?

IIRC zwiller posted that he has made his own Brewbrite using typical LHBS Polyclar. I did the same using Polyclar 10 and 1/2 tab whirlfloc and added the mixture @ 10 mins left in the boil.

Me as well.  Polyclar 10 (&g) and 1 whirlfloc tab for 12 gallons post boil. Smooth wort.

Yeah, the wort was very clear. Looking forward to the end result. I should've posted - I used .5g/gallon Polyclar 10 (the low end) and 1/2 tab whirlfloc for 5.5 gallons wort.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2016, 08:33:24 am »
All I'm finding are Polyclar VT and Polyclar 10 (not even sure if they are different).

The directions for both are to add post-fermentation, which I have no interest in.  Can either of these be used successfully in the boil?

IIRC zwiller posted that he has made his own Brewbrite using typical LHBS Polyclar. I did the same using Polyclar 10 and 1/2 tab whirlfloc and added the mixture @ 10 mins left in the boil.

Correct, however I have the real stuff now.  No difference, really.  I researched polyclar VT vs 10 in the day and was equally confused but I will say if you go to the MFR site (Ashland) there is no mention of VT just 10 if that helps.  Honestly, don't think it matters.  I think I've posted enough papers to confirm adding polyclar to boil is a non issue. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:33 am »
I used .5g/gallon Polyclar 10 (the low end) and 1/2 tab whirlfloc for 5.5 gallons wort.

Some data for you guys.  PBB is 60:40 polyclar:WF.  I use 8g PPB for IPA.  For DIYBB, that is 4.8g polyclar and 3.2g WF.  Like you guys we started low and worked up.  My buddy did the extended aging testing and I did the higher dosing testing  ;D  Do recall dosing is gravity and IBU dependent also the recommended dosing is likely for megaswill. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline storunner13

• 1st Kit
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 10:16:33 am »
Yeah, the wort was very clear. Looking forward to the end result. I should've posted - I used .5g/gallon Polyclar 10 (the low end) and 1/2 tab whirlfloc for 5.5 gallons wort.

Bringing this back from the dead.  How were your results with the homemade Polyclar Brew Brite mix?  Was there a noticeable difference in hop harshness with a big (pellet) dry hop?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:02 am »

Bringing this back from the dead.  How were your results with the homemade Polyclar Brew Brite mix?  Was there a noticeable difference in hop harshness with a big (pellet) dry hop?

I like the mix for producing very clear wort and beers that don't have young, 'green' character, not so much for effects on hop character. Since it's added late boil, it wouldn't have much effect on dry hop character. It does reduce hop intensity a bit on beers where I whirlpool hop heavily. Some would say makes a smoother hop flavor, I say reduces the flavor a tad. I hop IPA heavily enough to not feel it's a negative.
Jon H.

Offline The_Bishop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2017, 09:06:57 am »
I know this a very old post, but I've been interested in giving Polyclar Brewbrite a try and I'm having exactly zero luck in locating a source for it. Anyone have a source for buying it in non-industrial quantities?

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2017, 02:03:55 pm »
I know this a very old post, but I've been interested in giving Polyclar Brewbrite a try and I'm having exactly zero luck in locating a source for it. Anyone have a source for buying it in non-industrial quantities?

I did not have any luck procuring actual Polyclar BrewBrite so I went the DIY way using Polyclar VT (PVPP) and Whirlfloc.  I use a 74% PVPP / 26% Whirlfloc, and aim for 2.3-5.7 grams per 6 gallons at 10 minutes left in the boil.  The dosage is dependent on recipe formulation (to some extent), and I haven't yet determined what kinds of beers need what size dose so I've opted for a middle-of-the-road dose of 3.6gr in most beers.  Finally, in all honesty, I cannot confidently say that it's doing much.  It may be, but it may not be also - I just can't determine but I continue to use it  :o.  My hope is that it's binding up some polyphenols in the fermenter and/or keg, and dropping them out of solution so that they don't have downstream staling/oxidative effects.

Offline The_Bishop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2017, 08:25:50 am »
Ok, I just got some ployclar 10 ordered. When you used it, did you crush up the whirlfloc and make a combined powder with it, or did you keep and add them separately?

Thanks for the guidance!

I've recently been using Super Moss HB and haven't been particularly impressed with it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:21:55 pm by The_Bishop »

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2017, 09:44:37 am »
I break up the whirlfloc into smaller bits and powder, and then I put the PVPP on top of that in my bowl.  I don't try to mix those two together though because the PVPP is super light and almost wants to take flight.  At about 12 minutes to end of boil I mix in about 1/2 cup of boiling wort in the bowl and stir it into a slurry, then add it all back at 10min.

I also have a container of SuperMossHB that basically goes unused because it SUCKS! ;D  I swear that it somehow makes wort MORE cloudy and helps to keep stuff in suspension.  I don't know how it could be so drastically different than whirlfloc but it is.  The only time I've used it recently was once when I wanted some kind of kettle fining and I was out of whirlfloc and irish moss.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2017, 12:27:44 pm »
I break up the whirlfloc into smaller bits and powder, and then I put the PVPP on top of that in my bowl.  I don't try to mix those two together though because the PVPP is super light and almost wants to take flight.  At about 12 minutes to end of boil I mix in about 1/2 cup of boiling wort in the bowl and stir it into a slurry, then add it all back at 10min.

Pretty much the same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline The_Bishop

• 1st Kit
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2017, 03:22:19 pm »
Well, can't wait to give it a shot when the polyclar shows up.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 08:23:28 am »

Funny, PBB acts just like starch and clumps up bad when using hot liquid.  I use room temp distilled.  Haha, the stuff IS super light!  Do NOT try and measure it outside  ;D

Supermoss never worked well for me either. 

Very interesting not many really are impressed it.  Myself and buds were quite blown away.  In the day I almost approached a friend who owns my LHBS to get him to be the first homebrewer retailer.  He is an amazon reseller. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2017, 01:15:07 pm »
I've been really impressed with diy brewbrite. I've been doing what Hoosierbrew suggested above .5 g per gallon pvpp and 1/2 wf tab for 5.5 gallons. My wort has never been clearer leaving the kettle and my beers have also ended cleared in gereral. Not sure id use on every beer style but I think it gives me positive results for lagers. I've noticed my post boil gravity sample has a smoother flavor, less of a typical pre fermentation harshness. I haven't compared batches with and without but for my lagers I am going to continue using it.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 06:09:59 am »
I've been really impressed with diy brewbrite. I've been doing what Hoosierbrew suggested above .5 g per gallon pvpp and 1/2 wf tab for 5.5 gallons. My wort has never been clearer leaving the kettle and my beers have also ended cleared in gereral. Not sure id use on every beer style but I think it gives me positive results for lagers. I've noticed my post boil gravity sample has a smoother flavor, less of a typical pre fermentation harshness. I haven't compared batches with and without but for my lagers I am going to continue using it.

I've noticed similar results myself, although again no side-by-side comparisons on my part either. I'm a stovetop small-batch brewer, and I just pour from my kettle into my fermenter. I've noticed that I have a lot more clear wort on top before I start hitting the fluffy stuff as I pour.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2018, 01:54:50 pm »
Well, I finally picked up some PVPP and am going to try it out tomorrow.  Think I will go with 3 grams of PVPP and 1/2 tab of whirlfloc.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC