Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: permanent electric wooden brew stand  (Read 1431 times)

Offline heneksja

• 1st Kit
permanent electric wooden brew stand
« on: February 08, 2018, 02:49:32 pm »
I am putting together equipment for a permanent brewing system in my basement.  I have this idea to have a wooden stand that has a lattice of 2x2s for the shelf to hold the equipment.  Under that would be a ramp that leads towards my sump pump.  But over the sump pump would be a screen of some kind to prevent grain from entering the sump pump.  The idea is to dump spent grains onto the shelf that would fall through the lattice and onto the ramp.  Then the grains slide onto the screen and drain off.  Then I would be able to scrape grains off the screen into those busboy tubs that you see in restaurants all the time. 

Now I figure I can make the screen from 1/4" plywood with sufficient holes in it to allow for proper draining.  Thinking I could design that and either use CNC or laser cutting machine to cut the holes. 

But I was wondering about the ramp.  So at what angle will the grains just gently slide down onto the screen.  Would 6" over 6 feet ramp be good?  More?  Less? 

Any comments on this design?  You're crazy would be a perfectly fine comment.   

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: permanent electric wooden brew stand
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:08:03 pm »
Is it a sump pump or a sanitary pump? A sump pump is not well-suited for pumping solids. In addition, where is that pump pumping to? I'm not sure this is the best idea.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline heneksja

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:54:17 pm »
I thought I made it clear there, but let me try again.  I am talking about spent grains disposal.  I will have a screen to separate the solids from the liquid.  Only the liquid should go down to the sump pump.  I think my yard can take whatever liquid makes its way out there, and the sump pump well won't smell.  I am slightly concerned that there might be nasties in the air, because of the sump pump well being right next to the brewing.  But it sure makes it easier for clean-up when I can throw liquid down the sump pump.  I do plan to cover the sump pump.  Does anyone think I should integrate a sump pump vent with the exhaust from the hood? I got a 450 cfm exhaust fan for the hood that I am going to build.  Also wooden. 

Before anyone asks, I should say that I will finish everything with a nice coat of exterior or marine polyurethane.  I have built wooden kayaks as another hobby, so I think I can get a good enough finish on the wood to prevent wood damage. Probably the kayak building is why I am thinking wooded everything.  You know what they say about a man with a hammer, sees the world as places to pound.  :)

I was thinking more about the angle of that ramp.  If someone could take a pile of spent grains and put on a polyurethane finished piece of plywood and tell me at what angle do the grains start moving, it would probably answer the question.   I know I can just try it and adjust it as needed, but if anyone has any insight, it would be helpful. 

Offline Nathan

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:18:19 am »
Cover your ramp with some poly urethane sheeting like coraplast or a kids crazy carpet it will help things slide 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DeeGood888

• 1st Kit
    • https://sonicesoap.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 03:18:10 am »
I love the idea!