Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kwak and Chouffe troubleshooting  (Read 1175 times)

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
Kwak and Chouffe troubleshooting
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:20:23 am »
Hello all,
so I have been attempting a Kwak and Chouffe Clone by following and slightly modifying recipes I found on Beersmith but I'm not satisfied with the results.
Both are way too dark, the Kwak as a special flavor to it, which is hard to describe (I'm not too good at describing flavor, I need to learn more on that), and the Chouffe almost taste like honey to me.
Also the Chouffe does not have a good head retention.
Both these beers did not have a big Krausen during fermentation, which may be part of the problem.
I want to attach a few pictures, of the recipes I followed as well as of the final results.
I'm not able to find how to attach an image though, when I click insert image it just insert [img]... How does this work? Sorry for the noob question.
Any help and suggestions are welcomed, thanks and cheers!

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Kwak and Chouffe troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:11:48 pm »
Hello all,
so I have been attempting a Kwak and Chouffe Clone by following and slightly modifying recipes I found on Beersmith but I'm not satisfied with the results.
Both are way too dark, the Kwak as a special flavor to it, which is hard to describe (I'm not too good at describing flavor, I need to learn more on that), and the Chouffe almost taste like honey to me.
Also the Chouffe does not have a good head retention.
Both these beers did not have a big Krausen during fermentation, which may be part of the problem.
I want to attach a few pictures, of the recipes I followed as well as of the final results.
I'm not able to find how to attach an image though, when I click insert image it just insert [img]... How does this work? Sorry for the noob question.
Any help and suggestions are welcomed, thanks and cheers!

You need to load the picture onto a photo hosting website like imgur and then add the direct link. Also, clone recipes from books are usually hot garbage. Without seeing the recipes you're talking about, we can't comment on why they would produce poor head retention (or other off flavors).

Without kn owing anything about your process, my instinct tells me that that "special flavor" is probably a yeast-driven flavor from under-pitching or from fermenting too warm. Remember that the fermentation temperature is 4-8 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.

Offline MYR

• Cellarman
Re: Kwak and Chouffe troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 08:53:36 am »
Thanks Skyler, I’ll try to do that so I can upload the pictures of my recipes so you can have an idea of what I tried to do. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk