Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does anyone use late boil additions in IPAs anymore?  (Read 5930 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Re: Does anyone use late boil additions in IPAs anymore?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 02:13:55 pm »
I think the question that needs to be asked is: Why?

Why do you do boil additions that are for flavor not Alpha?  Is anything to be gained flavor wise from a 30, 15, 10, 5, or even flameout additions, that a 170* hopstand wouldn't do better?  Is there a difference in either amount of flavor or type of flavor that occurs in boil additions?

.....Aaaand go.

At least for me, the difference is equipment and technique.  I do extract/stove top.  No pumps, so I can't (or it would be a lot more difficult) for me to do all grain techniques like FWH or whirlpool hop additions without multiple kettles and a pump. 

I started out with online recipes that did additions of 60, 45, 30, 20, 10, flameout, dry hop etc.. and I've condensed that down to 60, 10, dry.  In my opinion, I still get good flavor and aroma from the short boil hops, and they do add a tiny bit of BU.  I get 85-90% of my AA from the 60 and then a small amount for the 10 min.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 04:27:44 pm »
I do additions at 60/45/30/15/2/0 minutes, usually nothing in my fermenter. Does it make better beer? Maybe. I can't say for sure, but I like my beer, as do my friends. It makes me feel like a mad scientist adding all those hops and I'm going to continue as such.
Far better to dare mighty things....

narvin

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 08:08:20 am »
I went back to a 10 minute charge in my IPA and I think it tastes way better.

+1

If anything, I think early boil additions other than a small bittering charge are out of favor.

And, to take the assertions here and twist them around, what does a whirpool accomplish that can't be done better with dry hopping (both during and after active fermentation)?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:10:04 am by narvin »

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 08:15:21 am »

+1

If anything, I think early boil additions other than a small bittering charge are out of favor.

And, to take the assertions here and twist them around, what does a whirpool accomplish that can't be done better with dry hopping (both during and after active fermentation)?

The only thing I can think of is that it eliminates (in my case) 5 ounces of hop material from the fermenter while still capturing the oils.  I put 5 ounces in the whirlpool and 5 in the fermenter... 10 ounces of uncompacted hop material in a 5 gallon batch would approach the losses seen in Fresh hop beers.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 08:24:05 am »

+1

In my experience, whirlpool hops give a different character than dry hops. Dry hops can't be beat for that big blast of aroma when you stick your nose in the glass, and they are at least part of the equation when looking for that "juicy" character. Whirlpool hops tend to leave more of an enduring flavor that lingers on the palate. To me, whirlpool hops seem less "fruit juice" in flavor than dry hops. Neither are strictly better than the other, but I do think they give different results.

For my part, I have moved to just one large whirlpool/hop stand addition for my IPA's - no boil or dry hops. It is as much for simplicity in the brewing process as it is for flavor, though. I don't necessarily see it as "better" than boil or dry hopping from a flavor standpoint, but it gets me a beer that I thoroughly enjoy and keeps my brewday simpler.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 10:28:52 am »

+1

In my experience, whirlpool hops give a different character than dry hops. Dry hops can't be beat for that big blast of aroma when you stick your nose in the glass, and they are at least part of the equation when looking for that "juicy" character. Whirlpool hops tend to leave more of an enduring flavor that lingers on the palate. To me, whirlpool hops seem less "fruit juice" in flavor than dry hops. Neither are strictly better than the other, but I do think they give different results.

For my part, I have moved to just one large whirlpool/hop stand addition for my IPA's - no boil or dry hops. It is as much for simplicity in the brewing process as it is for flavor, though. I don't necessarily see it as "better" than boil or dry hopping from a flavor standpoint, but it gets me a beer that I thoroughly enjoy and keeps my brewday simpler.
Also interested in skipping dry hopping. What do you call large?
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 10:37:04 am »

+1

2-4 oz/gallon (about 15-30g/L). For my IPAs I whirlpool hot (immediately after flameout) for about 45-90 minutes. I get the right quality of bitterness for my tastes with this kind of addition (firm, but not abrasive).

I don't know if this is necessarily a replacement for dry hops, but it's generally "good enough" for me. I'm just to busy/lazy to be messing around with dry hops lately. You can certainly use dry hops in addition to the whirlpool to really max out the hop character.
Eric B.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 11:04:47 am »

+1

2-4 oz/gallon (about 15-30g/L). For my IPAs I whirlpool hot (immediately after flameout) for about 45-90 minutes. I get the right quality of bitterness for my tastes with this kind of addition (firm, but not abrasive).

I don't know if this is necessarily a replacement for dry hops, but it's generally "good enough" for me. I'm just to busy/lazy to be messing around with dry hops lately. You can certainly use dry hops in addition to the whirlpool to really max out the hop character.
A 90 minute whirlpool? The Gods of Low Oxygen will throw me off the Tarpeian Rock   if I dare do this.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »
Most of my beers are FWH or 60 min, then 0 and dry hops.  I tried the cryo hops for dry hopping and really like the result, though, I must admit Denny's RIPA is about the only IPA I make anymore.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 05:15:32 pm »
My hop schedule (10 gallon batch) is bittering at 60 minutes followed by an ounce each at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes. Then I get it in the fermentors as quickly as possible.

IMHO whirlpool hops are a waste of time (and hops), and the main reason commercial brew rigs suck (you can't do late hop adds if you whirlpool). If you want alpha conversion (and I don't!) just add them earlier.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 05:44:57 pm »
My hop schedule (10 gallon batch) is bittering at 60 minutes followed by an ounce each at 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes. Then I get it in the fermentors as quickly as possible.

IMHO whirlpool hops are a waste of time (and hops), and the main reason commercial brew rigs suck (you can't do late hop adds if you whirlpool). If you want alpha conversion (and I don't!) just add them earlier.

Charlie
Why can't you do late hop adds if you whirlpool? I can do hop additions any time I choose, or all of them. FWH, 60-0, whirlpool held at any temp I choose for any time I choose.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 08:10:58 pm »

+1

A 90 minute whirlpool? The Gods of Low Oxygen will throw me off the Tarpeian Rock   if I dare do this.
Keep it hot and you'll minimize O2 pickup.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.