Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Does anyone use late boil additions in IPAs anymore?  (Read 5823 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Does anyone use late boil additions in IPAs anymore?
« on: March 03, 2018, 07:07:39 pm »
 My typical hop schedule for my house IPA is:
 60 minute boil addition
 15 minute boil addition
  7minute boil addition
 Then a large whirlpool addition at 175 for 30 minutes.
 Dryhop

I’m very happy with his beer but I know in the last several years people of gotten completely away from any late boil additions. I’m thinking about taking all of my 15 and 7 minute additions and just throwing it in the whirlpool.   I wonder however this will take some complexity out of the beer?  I realize I won’t know it’s right for me until I give it a try, but I was wondering if anyone has any opinions?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Does anyone use late boil additions in IPAs anymore?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:03:56 pm »
My 2 cents. Complex procedure or recipe doesn't always equate to complex beer in the glass. My IPA is one bittering charge early, two or at most 3 hops in an actual whirlpool at 170F, and everything else is dry hop post fermentation.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:19:57 pm »
I still like a strong hop at 20 for most pale ales and IPAs. Generally an ounce for every 5.5 gallons of finished beer. Columbus or Chinook are generally my top choices.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 05:53:00 am »
I went back to a 10 minute charge in my IPA and I think it tastes way better.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:35:43 am »
I like boil additions, but I only use them at 60, 10, or 2, depending if I want bitterness, flavor, or flavor + aroma.  Any hop addition in between like 60 and 10 is a waste for a brewer who couldn't make up their mind what they wanted IMO.  Keep it simple.

That said, I probably will be using extended flameouts for all my IPAs in future.  APAs, maybe not.  But IPA, yes.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Does anyone use late boil additions in IPAs anymore?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:26:32 am »
I’m a 60min, flameout, and whirlpool guy. An IPA absent of bitterness just doesn’t float the boat for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:58:20 am »
I should say, yes absolutely use a 60 min addition

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:27:20 am »
For me, no.  I have a single 60 minute addition for AA and a 170* hopstand for oils.  Followed of course by a healthy dry hopping.

Given that different hop oils boil at different temperatures, my guess is that all that is happening in boil additions is boiling off different hop oils at different rates.  Some may linger longer than others.   I imagine that anything more than a few minutes in an actually boiling wort would result in a reduction of more than half of the oils in whatever hop one uses.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 10:11:47 am »
I do FWH, 60, 2-5 min., anf dry hop on all IPAs.  Sometimes I add in a whirlpool addition.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 12:35:37 pm »
My most common hop schedule:

FWH (not every time)
60 mins
10 mins (usually 1oz of cascade per 5-6 gal)
Whirlpool (30 mins at ~170F - 1-3 varieties)
Dry (now usually 3 oz per 5-6 gallons - 1-3 varieties)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 05:54:55 am »
I do 60/10/Dry Hop.  1oz at 60 of a bittering hop (Magnum/Warrior).  1oz at 10 of aroma hops and then 2oz dry hop. (4 oz hops in 3 gallons)

Personally, I wouldn't remove the 15 and 7, but maybe combine them.  Take whatever the amounts for both and put it all in at 15, or hit the middle at 10.  The AA% difference will probably be negligible.

Also, if you're happy with the beer why change it? Even if it's not the "normal" procedure, it works well for you.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 07:48:29 am »
I think the question that needs to be asked is: Why?

Why do you do boil additions that are for flavor not Alpha?  Is anything to be gained flavor wise from a 30, 15, 10, 5, or even flameout additions, that a 170* hopstand wouldn't do better?  Is there a difference in either amount of flavor or type of flavor that occurs in boil additions?

.....Aaaand go.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 08:23:33 am »

Why do you do boil additions that are for flavor not Alpha?  Is anything to be gained flavor wise from a 30, 15, 10, 5, or even flameout additions, that a 170* hopstand wouldn't do better?  Is there a difference in either amount of flavor or type of flavor that occurs in boil additions?

.....Aaaand go.

Yup.  +1
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 09:44:13 am »
 Yep Steve, that’s really my question. My 15 and 7 minute additions are left over from the old way of thinking but haven’t changed it,  just added Whirlpooling as my bank account allowed me to buy a pump at Whirlpool arm.  I guess the question is do you get more complex flavors from some boil editions than just a big hopstand and dry hop alone.  I don’t brew enough to do actual taste comparison experiments, has anyone tried this?
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 11:13:02 am »

.....Aaaand go.

I think you went off course when you said "better".  The kettle additions are different.  Whether or no they're "better" depends on your tastes and goals.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell