Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IMF "International Maltiness Factor"  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: IMF "International Maltiness Factor"
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 04:36:07 pm »
Either you're a genius or you're nuts, Jim.  Could be both. Pretty sure I'm nuts, because I just applied this to some of my recipes, and said to myself, "Hmmm.  Yeah...." :D
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline oginme

• Assistant Brewer
    • My Farm
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 04:40:38 pm »
Jim,

That is just too simple and uncomplicated.  You need to work in the integration of the development of melanoidins as a function of boil time with an exponential for decoction mashed grains. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:45 pm »
Either you're a genius or you're nuts, Jim.  Could be both. Pretty sure I'm nuts, because I just applied this to some of my recipes, and said to myself, "Hmmm.  Yeah...." :D
See?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 06:09:56 pm »
I think for any session beers you multiply by i. Just like in real math, it means it's an imaginary number.

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 08:22:36 am »
Been working on this for quite some time now.  Actually have a formula:

Surprisingly the answer is 42.

As an aside, how many actually brew, drink (and enjoy!) very malt beers like eisbock?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:26:16 am by BitterItDown »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:43:26 am »

Great!  Now we just need a blind triangle with a bunch of random Californians with no taste buds to confirm that they cannot reliably tell a difference between a malty beer with predicted IMF=41.999999 vs. a malty beer with predicted IMF=42.000000, then the masses will sing the praises of your formula and distribute as gospel.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 10:03:45 am »
If I were to ask my server how malty any of their beers are, 99.47% of them will reply, "Huh Whazzat"?

I live in S. Indiana.  You have to excuse us Hoosiers and one has to search very hard to find restaurants that have anything on tap besides the AB/InBev line up of P..S and P. . S lite.  There are a very few brewpubs, but they are few and far between.
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 10:16:35 am »
I live in S. Indiana.  You have to excuse us Hoosiers and one has to search very hard to find restaurants that have anything on tap besides the AB/InBev line up of P..S and P. . S lite.  There are a very few brewpubs, but they are few and far between.

I like Brugge Brasserie, but they're probably more yeast&bacteria-based than malt-based.

Flat 12 has great malty stuff though.

I do realize both of these are in Indy, not so much "S. Indiana" but I'm sure you've seen Flat 12 around somewhere.

But we digress(!?).  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline BitterItDown

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:30:40 am »
then the masses will sing the praises of your formula and distribute as gospel.

Until they find out the Brits do it different :(

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 12:05:20 pm »
I’m waiting for the patron spreadsheet before I worry about IMF calculation.....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:02 pm »

If I were to ask my server how malty any of their beers are, 99.47% of them will reply, "Huh Whazzat"?

I always test the knowledge of my server by asking them which of their beers has the highest P Value

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 01:11:42 pm »
I always test the knowledge of my server by asking them which of their beers has the highest P Value

Considering my attachment below, the highest P Value must come from Budmilloors Lite at most places, or perhaps from my Scottish 60/- at home which packs a walloping 3.8% ABV or thereabouts.

Did I get the right answer?!  Did I pass the test?!

Dave

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 01:15:19 pm »
Ok, glad you guys had fun with this.

What spurred this was, I was listening to a couple of brewers discussing post boil hops, and how to quantify the bitterness from those hops. It was like watching a mouse try to find a corner in a round room. They apparantly liked what post boil hops had done to the beer, but since there's no real way of quantifying the bitterness from them, they seemed unable or unwilling to use late hops in their own beers.

I began thinking about that. It sounded like most of us. For some reason that one ingredient has us entranced with a bizzar need for a number. How is it we can rely on personal experience, or the advice of others, when it comes to the use of grains or yeast, and their likely flavor contributions. But if it's hops, no way! We must have a formula, even if it's one that we know is highly inaccurate.

In my sarcastic humor I hid my personal opinion in the FAQs. This is me...
"Q: Why not just describe the maltiness of beer using words?" You can substitute Hoppiness for Maltiness

And this is the response I hear from the brewing world
"A: Who let this moron in here?"

When people ask me how many IBUs are in my beers, from now on I think I will answer "I don't know" just hoping that prompts the question "How do you know how bitter it is?"

My recipe software calculates SRM, but I don't think I could tell you the number from memory for any of my beers, without looking. I'm going to apply that same amount of importance to the IBU.

I think every time I hear an IBU debate I will remember the IMF, and see that mouse running in circles.

Glad you guys got a kick out of my ramblings
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:27:18 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »

As an aside, how many actually brew, drink (and enjoy!) very malt beers like eisbock?

I have a Heller Bock and a Doppelbock lagering. No eisbock.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 02:06:16 pm »

Great!  Now we just need a blind triangle with a bunch of random Californians with no taste buds to confirm that they cannot reliably tell a difference between a malty beer with predicted IMF=41.999999 vs. a malty beer with predicted IMF=42.000000, then the masses will sing the praises of your formula and distribute as gospel.