Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tannins  (Read 2039 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Tannins
« on: March 06, 2018, 10:12:11 am »
I have been researching distillation lately.  I am somewhat surprised at how it has increased my general Brewing knowledge.  For example I heard on one podcast that tannins (extracted from the oak barrel) contributes viscosity, which in turn increases the length of the finish (flavor).

So I’m now wondering how I can get tannins into my beer without the actual tannin flavor (I’m thinking bitter or mouth drying).  Thoughts?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Tannins
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:30:12 am »
That mouth-drying sensation is astringency/mouthfeel and not flavor. In something like whisky or a big red wine, it is something that is expected and enjoyable (when present in the proper balance). That is exactly the opposite of what I'm typically looking for in beer. If you're looking to boost viscosity/mouthfeel in beer I think you're better off shooting for more dextrins than tannins.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:28 am »
Buy a bottle of liquid tannins and play with it in the glass. A little goes a long way

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:35:02 am »
That makes sense.  Dextrins are unfermentable sugars/starches, correct?  So mashing high and maybe some caramel malts...yeast choice also comes to mind.  Anything I’m missing?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:36:42 am »
I guess the big takeaway is that viscosity increases length of finish.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:39:59 am »
I guess the big takeaway is that viscosity increases length of finish.
I'd just be cautious extrapolating that to beer from spirits. The types of beer where I'm looking for a lingering finish (English Barleywine, for example), are already plenty viscous enough. It may help in a beer that feels thin or the flavor drops off too quick, but I don't know if it's always a "more is better" situation.
Eric B.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:24:09 am »
I'd just be cautious extrapolating that to beer from spirits. The types of beer where I'm looking for a lingering finish (English Barleywine, for example), are already plenty viscous enough. It may help in a beer that feels thin or the flavor drops off too quick, but I don't know if it's always a "more is better" situation.

Much like how we make diacetyl out to be evil, tannins aren't necessarily bad in beer. There are probably just as many references to tannins being noticeable in British styles as there are about diacetyl being present.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 07:56:02 pm »

Much like how we make diacetyl out to be evil, tannins aren't necessarily bad in beer. There are probably just as many references to tannins being noticeable in British styles as there are about diacetyl being present.
I won't judge you for enjoying either diacetyl or tannin in your beer, but I don't necessarily share your tastes on either. ;)

That said, the earlier suggestion to dose in the glass is probably worth an experiment. I'd be interested in hearing the results if anyone tries it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:44:11 pm »

I won't judge you for enjoying either diacetyl or tannin in your beer, but I don't necessarily share your tastes on either. ;)

That said, the earlier suggestion to dose in the glass is probably worth an experiment. I'd be interested in hearing the results if anyone tries it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think the tannic affects of using large amounts of low-alpha hops is part of why British beers benefit from oxidation so well. Kinda like letting a really tannic red wine breathe a bit before serving.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.