Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 512 Whisky Barrel Double Pecan Porter??  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Keith

• 1st Kit
512 Whisky Barrel Double Pecan Porter??
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:55:42 am »
Anyone have an idea as to how you could make the 512 Whisky Barrel Double Pecan Porter. I've made the recipe for the regular Pecan Porter on the AHA website and it came out great. I've recently acquired a 5 gallon bourbon barrel and would like to put this beer in it. The stats for the double on 512's website are as follows:

9.5%
30 IBU
Organic 2 Row, Crystal, Black, Chocolate malts

The regular Pecan porter on the AHA website is here:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/512-brewing-co-pecan-porter/

The types of grains look like they stay the same. My question is, do I just up the base malt to reach the desired 9.5% alcohol or should I plug it into beersmith and adjust the desired gravity to reach 9.5% and let beersmith calculate the adjustments for all of the grains including the specialty grains. I want to keep the beer balanced and was afraid of adding too much chocolate and black malt. Also, would i need to up the amount of pecans? 12-16 oz go into the regular pecan porter during the mash.

After plugging the original recipe into beersmith and adjusting the SG to reach 9.5% alcohol it came up with this at 75% efficiency.

Batch Size: 5.5 Gallons
SG: 1.093
FG: 1.022
Mash at 154 degrees for 60 minutes.
16 lbs. 11.7 oz American 2 row
2 lbs. 0.4 oz Crystal 120
1 lbs. 0.2 oz Black malt
1 lbs. 0.2 oz Chocolate malt
2.51 oz Glacier (Hop Pellets 6% AA)

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: 512 Whisky Barrel Double Pecan Porter??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:31:44 am »
I suspect the grain bill is a little different from just increasing the gravity on the original recipe. A lot of crystal malt plus a bigger beer plus the whisky barrel sets up a really sweet beer. It is sweet but I don't think it's quite that sweet. I'd take a shot at something along what beersmith adjusted but reduce the crystal malt and add the necessary volume back to the base malt. I'd look at 1.5-2 times the amount of pecans.

Try emailing 512 with your recipe and see if they will give feedback. I know in the past they were pretty open with homebrewers and their recipes.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 512 Whisky Barrel Double Pecan Porter??
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:34:24 am »
+1 to emailing 512. They were pretty awesome at sharing when i toured a few years back. Side note, the only time I liked pecan porter was when I had it on cask. The frothy head really complimented the beer.