Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wet hop opinions?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline paul_mullinax

• 1st Kit
Wet hop opinions?
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:42:53 pm »
So just got off the phone with a new start-up company who is in the plans of opening a hop distribution company. They would specialize primarily in the sell of wet hops, both to home brewers and commercial breweries. This is the first time I've ever heard of a company trying or attempting this. After speaking with them they have an open position that sounds very intriguing and right up my alley. I just wanted to reach out to you guys though and see what your opinions of using wet hops are and also to those who have never used wet hops. What are your feeling towards them? If they were available to order would you give it a try? Also what might you be willing to pay for say, a pound of Cascade? Yakima Valley currently has 2017 Cascade whole hops for $14.99/lb

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Wet hop opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 05:05:43 am »
The hops at YVH are likely dried. A pound of wet hops is a lot less as the moisture in them adds to the weight. I think a pound of wet hops is like two or three ounces dry.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 05:14:33 am »
You would only get them once a year, seems like an odd business plan unless they have found a way to preserve then somehow.

Regardless, chalk me up as not a fan of wet hops and not a fan of the green vegal chlorophenol character.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 05:54:25 am »
I would clarify if they meant whole cone hops.  I can see how that would be a possible confusion compared to pellet hops, but whole cone are dried as well. 

As majorvices said, wet hops are extremely perishable.  Even if you vacuum sealed them I'd be afraid they will still start to break down and you'd have hop soup by the time you opened it. 
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:00:51 am »
Seems like a tough business model given that wet hops have to be sold right away and mature through a few months of the year. What do you do with the rest of the year?

I generally like wet hopped beers but I haven't consumed enough to really say I know how the beers are across the market. It's a good opportunity to breathe new life into some of the older American varieties that don't get much love anymore but have a different flavor to offer when wet hopped. It could open doors to more regionalized, smaller farms growing hops with high yield varieties that don't require paying premiums for the proprietary varieties, especially if neomexicanus varieties become available in warmer climates. Why couldn't Austin or Kansas City have a round of their own harvest ales?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:02:02 pm »
I learned at Hop & Brew School that wet hoips will start to compost themselves within an hour of harvest.  How do they plan to deal with that?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:12:04 pm »
We brewed at my neighbor's house and timed his bine picking with the additions for the brewing - it could not have been fresher, I would think.  It seemed to work ok, but for me, wet hops are not desirable - just too much vegetation for the amount of flavor or aromatics that you get.  (The bittering charge was FWH and used pellets; the wet hops were all in the late boil, flameout or whirlpool).  YMMV, but I have no desire to wet hop anymore.  Try for yourself, for sure.  I did and that was enough for me.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"