Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: reusing yeast  (Read 1345 times)

Offline mattd017

• 1st Kit
reusing yeast
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:38:33 pm »
I collected some yeast from a pale ale I brewed about 3 weeks ago. It was super clean and thick. My plan was to brew an IPA the next day, but life happened. It's now been sitting in a glass mason jar in the fridge for the last month or so. Is it any good to use this weekend? Not a big deal if I have to buy a vial and do a starter, but I'd like to just use what I have if possible.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: reusing yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:47:17 pm »
You're about at what my limit is for reusing slurry directly.  If it was me, I'd make a new starter with a couple Tbsp. of the slurry.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:59:36 pm »
You're about at what my limit is for reusing slurry directly.  If it was me, I'd make a new starter with a couple Tbsp. of the slurry.

+1 - 3 weeks is my personal breakpoint also.  easy enough to do a decent starter with the slurry you have.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mattd017

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:36:44 pm »
What I figured. I've never used old yeast before, so I wasn't sure if it was even worth if using a starter.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 06:12:59 am »
What I figured. I've never used old yeast before, so I wasn't sure if it was even worth if using a starter.

If you are going to make a starter anyway and if it isn't a hassle to run to shop fresh yeast is probably your best choice.

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 05:30:18 am »
I guess I'm the only one who would just dump it in the fermenter...