Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Braukaiser vs white yeast count for yeast starter  (Read 1409 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Braukaiser vs white yeast count for yeast starter
« on: March 06, 2018, 10:37:14 pm »
 The online calculator I use to calculate my yeast cell count has two different growth models, Braukaiser or white (stir plate).   After using it a ton and playing around with the numbers I realize that in the higher gravities, these two growth model is become vastly different with white needing much larger starters.
I usually shoot for in between, but does anyone have an opinion on which is more accurate?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:40:02 pm by trapae »
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
Re: Braukaiser vs white yeast count for yeast starter
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 09:04:51 am »
Read this and then use whatever you feel comfortable with.  http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2012/11/03/estimating-yeast-growth/

As plotted in Kai's post, the Jamil/White data makes no sense to me in that no matter how high the inoculation rate, there is always growth, whereas Kai's data shows that at some point, you hit a wall where you will get no new growth in your starter.

That said, I don't really use calculators so I can't help you in a practical sense, just theoretical.