Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Con  (Read 4546 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Homebrew Con
« on: March 07, 2018, 09:05:10 am »
As much as I hate the name, how come there is no dedicated board in events for discussion of it?
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Homebrew Con
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:21 am »
Still call it NHC.

The "con" name makes me think of people dressing up in silly costumes and parading around....um...nevermind  ;D

The more important question to ask is:  where will 2019 be?  Start the rumor mill!
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:28:08 am »
The more important question to ask is:  where will 2019 be?  Start the rumor mill!
Somewhere East Coast is due.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:34:06 am »
I've never seen such a lack of evident enthusiasm for the conference before. I hope that is just on the various forums and sales have still been strong.

FWIW, I'm going, and am staying at a nearby hotel. I may be looking for a west coast club to adopt me for Club Night so I can pour stuff.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:56:07 am »
The rumor mill said Richmond for 2019, but I kinda doubt that is the case.

Dunno how sales are for Portland. I'm going because as much as I have traveled I have not yet been to Portland. It would be nice if there was a dedicated Event section area for the conference.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:59:19 am »
The rumor mill said Richmond for 2019, but I kinda doubt that is the case.

Dunno how sales are for Portland. I'm going because as much as I have traveled I have not yet been to Portland. It would be nice if there was a dedicated Event section area for the conference.

Good idea, Mike.  I'll make one now.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:10 am »
I have not heard if my club will be doing a booth or not.  I volunteered to brew for it but I don’t want to man a booth and I definitely don’t want to get dressed up in a silly costume.  Apparently I’m a curmudgeon.  Anyway if they do you can take my place!
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:31 am »
The "con" name makes me think of people dressing up in silly costumes and parading around....um...nevermind  ;D
Because lederhosen and barmaid outfits aren’t silly?

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 11:54:59 am »
Dunno how sales are for Portland. I'm going because as much as I have traveled I have not yet been to Portland.

Same here. With prepping my daughter for her first semester of college, I might have skipped this year if it had been somewhere I had been before, but never made it to Portlandia, so couldn't pass it up.

I've never seen such a lack of evident enthusiasm for the conference before. I hope that is just on the various forums and sales have still been strong.

Honestly, it seems to me like the last 2 or 3 years have been less enthusiastic online than the first ones I went to. Not completely sure what's up with that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:41:37 pm »

Honestly, it seems to me like the last 2 or 3 years have been less enthusiastic online than the first ones I went to. Not completely sure what's up with that.

Just heard that first day registration is up 13% from last year.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 01:38:58 pm »
Wish I could go but too many people on vacation for me to get it off, and my scheduled work days are every day of the event

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37:06 pm »
Wish I could go but too many people on vacation for me to get it off, and my scheduled work days are every day of the event

Dude, that is a super bummer.  I was really hoping we'd get some hang out time.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 02:46:43 pm »

Dude, that is a super bummer.  I was really hoping we'd get some hang out time.
Yes, me too! I have that Sunday off, so I imagine the gang will be heading home.

I might have a small chance of getting that Saturday off, but my understanding is that you can't just drop in, and I wouldn't know for sure till about 10 days out.

It is a goal to have a couple beers with you one day. Maybe even brew up a batch of something.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:49:48 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 02:48:01 pm »

Not hard to believe. What I'm referring to is the people participating in threads about it. "Who's going to NHC?" type threads.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 02:55:11 pm »

Not hard to believe. What I'm referring to is the people participating in threads about it. "Who's going to NHC?" type threads.
I remember 5-6 years ago NHC was a large chunk of the posts here starting about now through June. It has really diminished. If you took that as your only data input you would think NHC was dying off. That's why you can't get an accurate idea of what home brewers are doing or thinking just by forum input. I think we are a subset of a subset of a subset