Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Late yeast addition  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Kevin

• 1st Kit
Late yeast addition
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:18:12 pm »
I brewed a double ipa (OG 1.089) yesterday using 2 Wyeast 1056 smack packs. I did not shake the packs up enough as some residue remained in the packs that I couldn’t add to the wort. Fermentation is active but I’m considering adding more yeast so as to reach the intended abv and avoid too much sweetness.

Has anyone ever successfully added more yeast as fermentation slows and seen benefits? Adding it now would get messy as blow off tube is active. Thanks.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Late yeast addition
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 01:30:35 pm »
I brewed a double ipa (OG 1.089) yesterday using 2 Wyeast 1056 smack packs. I did not shake the packs up enough as some residue remained in the packs that I couldn’t add to the wort. Fermentation is active but I’m considering adding more yeast so as to reach the intended abv and avoid too much sweetness.

Has anyone ever successfully added more yeast as fermentation slows and seen benefits? Adding it now would get messy as blow off tube is active. Thanks.

If you're gonna do it, do it now, not later.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 02:09:34 pm »
As Denny said you need to do it now. Adding it later isn't going to do much unless you use a huge slurry or very active starter. For a beer that  big you should have used a starter, pitched slurry from another batch or used multiple packs.

Offline Kevin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 02:18:35 pm »
Will do. Going to add white labs California ale. Starters from now on. I’m a big beer lover!  Thanks. Thanks

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:51:03 pm »
You might also warm up the fermenter as it starts to slow.  That could help keep the yeast going.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton