Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: It's getting worse...  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: It's getting worse...
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 06:30:40 pm »
Ironically, it's not just craft beer with this problem: I found cases (12 and 18 pack cans, 12 pack bottles) of Miller High Life less than a week from the "drink by" date. Probably not a coincidence, but this is the same distributor that the 1.5 hour away brewery previously mentioned uses...

As for driving to the brewery, the thing is I like to enjoy my beer at home, without the whole "how to get back home" problem. Designated drivers, waiting several hours, whatever, it's easier just to wait till you're home for the night and then imbibe.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 11:00:36 pm »
I have a friend (please forgive him) who works for MillerCoors.  He's been harping on this for years, and I have to say he's right.  When I go to total wine with my wife (she likes the wine variety and prices), I rarely buy anything.  It's mostly on the shelf and out of date.  I have been burned way too many times. 

The topic we've sort of discussed is whether or not the consumer is willing to pay a higher price for beer that is more fresh by destroying beer that is out of date.  We might all say yes, but probably not true for most beer drinkers. 

Years ago I had what I think was a fresh Hazed and Infused from Boulder Brewing.  Loved that beer.  I was never able to replicate that experience as everything was old and muddy by the time I got my hands on it in MN. 

There was a great Brewing Network show recently with a few guys from Sierra Nevada.  I liked how they talked about when they thought beers peaked.  If my memory serves me right, it was about 20-25 days from packaging.  Doesn't leave much time to distribute, especially considering the footprint of most breweries today. 

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 05:56:15 am »
I just assume if they are using a "code" they don't want me to know. Pass

It could also be the technology they are using.  Older inkjets will only print one line.  We used to have a weird code with a letter for the month, two numbers for the day, one number for the year and batch code. So it would look something like A157 255.  Jan 15, 2017 batch 255.  We upgraded and now we have (at least two lines) and it reads PKG ON - Mon/Day/ Year //Time stamp (second line)

Of course, now you look on things like Oskar Blues cans and they have like four lines with just extra text. It will say something like.

Pack On 3-17-18
12:00:00 PM
Nighty Night!

SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Robert

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 06:14:10 am »
I just assume if they are using a "code" they don't want me to know. Pass

It could also be the technology they are using.  Older inkjets will only print one line.  We used to have a weird code with a letter for the month, two numbers for the day, one number for the year and batch code. So it would look something like A157 255.  Jan 15, 2017 batch 255.  We upgraded and now we have (at least two lines) and it reads PKG ON - Mon/Day/ Year //Time stamp (second line)

Of course, now you look on things like Oskar Blues cans and they have like four lines with just extra text. It will say something like.

Pack On 3-17-18
12:00:00 PM
Nighty Night!
Now they're just showing off.
Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 11:17:13 am »

The topic we've sort of discussed is whether or not the consumer is willing to pay a higher price for beer that is more fresh by destroying beer that is out of date.  We might all say yes, but probably not true for most beer drinkers. 

I don't think more needs to be paid to get fresh beer. I think the cause is the lack of communication between stores and breweries caused by the flawed three tier system. When the distributor cares enough to make sure he better matches supply and demand fresh beer can still be had. Our local Budweiser distributor honestly does a great job, the craft brands they carry are usually very fresh. (Real craft, not Bud-craft.)

Another variable in this mess are the seasons. No, I'm not talking seasonal offerings, but how some styles sell better in the summer. I know once people start firing up their grills for the summer SNPA and Torpedo will be much easier to find fresh.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:19:12 am by Phil_M »
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.