Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sahti Suggestions?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline CranjisMcBasketball

• Cellarman
Sahti Suggestions?
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:22:49 pm »
So, I have decided to brew an experimental sahti/ale frankenstein with a hearty malt profile and some crystal rye for good measure.  BS puts my OG somewhere between 1086-1094, but I am lost as on what yeast to use?

I really don't want to use bakers or brewers yeast as is traditionally done with sahti, and i will be bottle conditioning, so its not going to be traditionally flat either.

Any suggestions?  I want to emulate the sahti character as close as I can in yeast flavor production, but I want to use a liquid yeast if possible.  I have two different LHBS near me, one that exclusively carries Imperial Yeast, and is much easier to get to, and then the other which carries Wyeast.

Please help!

Offline brian_welch

• Cellarman
  • Holden MA
Re: Sahti Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 06:28:51 am »
So, I have decided to brew an experimental sahti/ale frankenstein with a hearty malt profile and some crystal rye for good measure.  BS puts my OG somewhere between 1086-1094, but I am lost as on what yeast to use?

I really don't want to use bakers or brewers yeast as is traditionally done with sahti, and i will be bottle conditioning, so its not going to be traditionally flat either.

Any suggestions?  I want to emulate the sahti character as close as I can in yeast flavor production, but I want to use a liquid yeast if possible.  I have two different LHBS near me, one that exclusively carries Imperial Yeast, and is much easier to get to, and then the other which carries Wyeast.

Please help!

BJCP style guidelines:

“”Strong banana and moderate to moderately-high clove yeast character. “ (on top of the juniper and rye flavors going on)

“German Weizen yeast is a good substitute”

Brian Welch
WIZARDS (Worcester Incorporated Zymurgists Advancing Real Draughts)

ON TAP:
Hefeweizen
West Coast Pils
German Pils
Altbier

ON DECK:
English Bitter
Dark Mild

Offline CranjisMcBasketball

• Cellarman
Re: Sahti Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:03:13 pm »

Please help!

BJCP style guidelines:

“”Strong banana and moderate to moderately-high clove yeast character. “ (on top of the juniper and rye flavors going on)

“German Weizen yeast is a good substitute”

I think I read that exact suggestion on the wyeast site. What are your thoughts on maybe using Imperial Yeast A31 Tartan to accentuate the rye malts I’m using or the G01 Stefon that would fall into line with the suggestion on the wyeast site?