Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Session ipa category  (Read 4358 times)

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
Session ipa category
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:23:17 am »
What category would you place a session ipa? Is it specialty ipa or is there another place for it?

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Session ipa category
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:09:46 pm »
http://dev.bjcp.org/newsletter/specialty-ipa-clarifications-and-qa/

I've saved a handy Q&A on the BJCP website:

Where should I enter an American IPA brewed to session strength?
As noted in the Specialty IPA guideline, a session-strength IPA should be entered into the Specialty IPA category.

So in this case I believe you would enter it as 21B, and specify that it is session strength. If you add fruit/spices/vegetables, etc. then it move from the IPA category and into the "Specialty Beer" category.

From BJCP 2015:
Entry Instructions: Entrant must specify a strength
(session, standard, double); if no strength is specified, standard
will be assumed. Entrant must specify specific type of
Specialty IPA from the library of known types listed in the Style
Guidelines, or as amended by the BJCP web site; or the entrant
must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key
characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to
expect. Entrants may specify specific hop varieties used, if
entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal
characteristics of newer hops. Entrants may specify a
combination of defined IPA types (e.g., Black Rye IPA)
without providing additional descriptions. Entrants may use
this category for a different strength version of an IPA defined
by its own BJCP subcategory (e.g., session-strength American
or English IPA) – except where an existing BJCP subcategory.

Here's another handy Q&A:
http://dev.bjcp.org/newsletter/faqs-1-sour-fruit-beers-specialty-ipas-gruit-and-english-brown/

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 12:22:54 pm »
Pale Ale

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:01:19 pm »
So this actually is a pale ale but it kinda dances on the line between American pale ale and ipa. If it were 6.5% instead of 5% it would be an American ipa. So I was gonna try it in both categories since my Munich dunkel won't stand up against the stiff competition... it was good but not quite to style.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:13:57 pm »
If it's only 5% then pale ale, but it might get beat up by all the full on IPAs that get entered as APAs

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 01:41:42 pm »
What category would you place a session ipa? Is it specialty ipa or is there another place for it?
I would do either 18b or 21b. Read both styles, or the ipa style at least, and determine if the beer taste/smells more like an apa or an ipa. It seems that no matter what, the beer you have is low abv (under 5.5) so you could enter it as 21b and let the judges know it’s session strength, or try to enter it as an apa.
Also look at the color. Judge the beer for yourself and try to determine which style fits the beer best.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 01:44:36 pm »
It took 2nd last year in first round in APA category. I'm just worried that it will not do good in specialty ipa category as a session ipa vs. all the black/rye/etc. ipa's out there. It for sure is going into the APA category but I want to put it in as a session ipa as well.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 02:16:09 pm »
I would set it either at APA or IPA based on taste.  If strongly hopped, it's probably IPA.  If it tastes a little weak either in hop character or in ABV, then APA.

Eventually there will be a Session IPA category.  But... it's so unnecessary.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:27 pm »
If it's only 5% then pale ale, but it might get beat up by all the full on IPAs that get entered as APAs

Ha!  Love this!  Because it's friggin true!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline James K

• Brewer
  • Flagstaff, AZ
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 04:30:32 pm »
It took 2nd last year in first round in APA category. I'm just worried that it will not do good in specialty ipa category as a session ipa vs. all the black/rye/etc. ipa's out there. It for sure is going into the APA category but I want to put it in as a session ipa as well.

Those are separate categories all together. 21a-h. But that’s not to say the apa won’t be lumped in with IPAs. It depends on how the competition is being run.

If you have enough. Enter the beer in both of the categories. Apa and session, and just get the feedback. Thats probably what I would do, and then you could adjust future recipes to make an apa and session that might do better in the future.
Vice President of Flagstaff Mountain-Top Mashers
2017 Homebrewer of the year
"One mouth doesn't taste the beer."

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 04:38:59 pm »
In my opinion there's 3 reasons to enter comps. #1 is to help the club that is running it. It's a fund raiser after all. #2 is to win medals #3 is to get feedback.

If you want feedback, enter your beer in the style you wish to master.

If you want to win, send your very best beer, and enter it in the style that it seems to best fit as you are drinking it with guidelines in front of you. As you are doing that, ignore the numerical data that you know and that's at the bottom of the guidelines. Go by the verbal descriptions and what you are tasting. (Aroma, Appearance, Flavor, Mouthfeel, Overall). The judges won't have your numerical data, so it's not like they have lab equipment to determine that your beer is .3% too high ABV.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:48:35 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline TENNISPROROB

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 05:04:51 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. These beers are going to NHC... So that's what my plan is enter the same beer into two categories. Category #1 APA category #2 specialty ipa. I just hope it can stand up to the bigger beers that go into the specialty ipa category. Wish me luck! Thanks everyone!