Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Darker DIPA OG 1.072 - stuck  (Read 1949 times)

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
Darker DIPA OG 1.072 - stuck
« on: March 11, 2018, 10:33:02 am »
I'm using SS Brew Tech equip (20 gal) and currently have a DIPA in the fermenter going on end of 3 weeks. Temp was near perfect between 68-70, but since stalling, I upped to almost 80 and got some bubbles of it, but stopped again a day later. I've shaken/swirled a number of times over the last week+, and measurement still coming out around 1.30 +-2. The taste isn't terribly sweet, but it's def sweet. I started out with 54 lbs of grains and mashed for 2 hours while recirculating, used iodine to check attenuation, finally looked good, so went to boil, etc.. and beginning few days, the fermentation was going off like crazy, then slowed, then crawled, then stopped. Last time I made this I got a 9.6% beautiful DIPA.. this is only my second challenge since starting brewing a few years ago.. I've very little to no experience with troubled batches... This batch is 16.5gal btw. I was thinking maybe I could split it up by transferring from the fermenter to 3 separate carboys? I just don't know what else I can do...

Advice, shared experiences, comments, questions all welcome!

Thank you,
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Darker DIPA OG 1.072 - stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:16:02 am »
How much yeast did you pitch?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:34:24 am »
Are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:00 am »
How much yeast did you pitch?

4 California Pale Ale packs
"May your glass be ever full, may the roof over your head be always strong, and may you be in heaven a half-hour before the devil knows you're dead."

We'll drink to that.

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:26 am »

both, i got same OG on them, but not matching now

We'll drink to that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 12:21:34 pm »

Are you using a correction formula for the refractometer?  At this point, the alcohol it's produced wil throw off reading unless you compensate.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 01:33:55 pm »

Are you using a correction formula for the refractometer?  At this point, the alcohol it's produced wil throw off reading unless you compensate.

Hi Denny! my refractometer has both measurements in the sight. I'm not sure what correction formula I would use... advice?

We'll drink to that.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 02:06:53 pm »

Hi Denny! my refractometer has both measurements in the sight. I'm not sure what correction formula I would use... advice?

Here ya go...http://seanterrill.com/2011/04/07/refractometer-fg-results/

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 05:15:00 pm »
If my refractometer read 23ish brix (1.090) at the beginning and 7ish (1.028) at the end, after Terrill calculator it would actually be about 1.006 FG. That much alcohol with that dry of a finish "can" present a perception of sweetness. I submitted an 8% beer once, that had an FG of  1.005, and a grand master judge said "too sweet". (Saison)

I suspect the "bubbles" when you bumped it to 80 was off gassing of dissolved CO2 and expansion, not new fermentation.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:27:04 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline jasongael

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 12:23:07 am »

i felt like i was reading a nuclear sub schematic...???

We'll drink to that.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 12:42:48 am »
There's an app for that

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 10:32:16 am »

i felt like i was reading a nuclear sub schematic...???

Well, I believe Sean is a nuclear physicist

www.dennybrew.com