Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lactose after fermentation  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Inkastare Brewing Company

• 1st Kit
Lactose after fermentation
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:41:21 pm »
I brewed an all grain s'mores stout, about 9% when I transferred to the secondary.  Problem is it is very bitter from the unsweetened cocoa powder I used.  Can I add some additional lactose post fermentation to get some sweetness?

I added 3 oz of pure vanilla extract when transferring, and did a lb or lactose 10 min before flame out

I figure if I boil it in about a half gallon I would lose some ABV, but would at least be adding sterile liquid.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Lactose after fermentation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:56:04 am »
The bitterness could be from other things, such as hops of course... But also, 3 oz of vanilla is too much IMO and can add bitterness in high amounts in my experience.

I would not add more than 1 lb lactose in 5 gallons, total.  You might already be there.

Perhaps just give the brew more time to mellow.  Maybe needs 4-6 months or more.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Inkastare Brewing Company

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:11:42 am »
The bitterness could be from other things, such as hops of course... But also, 3 oz of vanilla is too much IMO and can add bitterness in high amounts in my experience.

I would not add more than 1 lb lactose in 5 gallons, total.  You might already be there.

Perhaps just give the brew more time to mellow.  Maybe needs 4-6 months or more.

Thanks.  Im pretty sure it's the cocao, tastes just like 80%=or higher cocao .chocolate bar.

I tested prior to vanilla too when I was getting my gravity readings, but I'll probably let it sit a while like you said and test from time to time.

Thanks!

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:57:02 pm »
I have experienced the same situation where my beer into the secondary tasted harsh. My solution was to add lactose as you intend to do and it worked. However, I only added 8 ounces. And, like one of the other brewers mentioned, it will mellow in time.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 02:16:17 pm »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.